Author Topic: Rear end housing question  (Read 10139 times)

Offline slack11

Rear end housing question
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:30:07 am »
Inspected my housing last night, I am 1/16" toed out, but I have 3/16" of camber (negative) over the rear housing.  I've got a couple of questions.

1.) Will the camber greatly affect setup?

2.)Are new "true" housings centered with a gear in it.  I added gaskets between the rear gear and housing and was able to change my toe at the tires.  Guess my question is, are new rear housings true for every gear, or do the gears themselves vary in tolerances, that cause a true/ square housing to still cause toe at the tires? (hopefully that makes sense). 

Trying to decide if I need a new housing, or if these differences can be allright and not greatly affect setup.

Thanks for any help.

knoxracing

Re: Rear end housing question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 12:33:28 pm »
How are you checking the housing?

Offline slack11

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »
Took the rearend out of the car, put tires back on the rear end, and set it up on stacked tires and rolled the rear gear back and forth, one way (top to bottom) to check toe, and front to back to check camber.

Used a bubble gauge that attaches to the rim on both sides (old school alignment gauge) to see if there was toe  and camber, and also used a tape measure between points on the two tires to get measurements.

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 01:55:31 pm »
Whos housing is it , how old is it and how much abuse has it been through?

Offline slack11

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:20:39 pm »
I don't know who's it is.. Came in the car when I bought it, and didn't know enough to ask at that time.... Same with the age....  I haven't been in any real serious impacts with it, but did end up on the hood of another car a week ago, that is  what made me pull it out and check it.....

Also,  the car has been good in the feature for about half the race, then becomes very loose... Trying to diagnose if this is the problem or part of it....

knoxracing

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:13:57 pm »
a true housing is critical, I would replaceit. I dout this is your problem, typicall a car will tighten during a race,  often mistaken for loose {loose=tight}. I am referring to an asphalt car.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 10:46:11 pm »
I don't think the housing is your problem...what are your tire temps? Possibly overheating the right rear?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline cmg motorsports

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 04:44:24 pm »
Cannot measure a housing that way with the tires on it.
Go to our website and I have a step by step on there.
www.cmgmotorsports.com
Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks
Mike
CMG Motorsports.com

Offline slack11

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 09:23:08 pm »
I read your procedure  on  the website, and I agree that that process will tell you if the housing  is true, but doesn't it really matters if there is camber or toe at the contact patches, where the tires meet the road, not in the housing itself.    Seems that you would want to measure with the tires, because that is where it actually matters.   I have measured housings with the tires on it, and have found that even the thickness and number of gaskets between the pumpkin and the housing (or lack of a gasket) will add or take toe out of the rear.   Measuring without the entire rear end assembled and with tires on, you'd never know that.. 

Offline cmg motorsports

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 10:19:19 am »
Slack11, you have a good point. You can measure with all that on but its more accurate to measure the housing itself to see if the housing is straight. Take the axles, wheels and stuff not being true out of it.

Mike