Author Topic: Tach problem and wiring.  (Read 4072 times)

Offline faster12

Tach problem and wiring.
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:23:53 pm »
Hey guys. When I purchase my car it had a tach in it.  It would light up and come on with the switch but wasnt showing the rpms of the engine. I pulled the hood and found where the green wire coming from the tach was cut a little past where it comes out of the wire loom from the engine. It looked like it was cut intentionally.  I reconnected the wire and have ran the car 3 times since then. The engine seems to be running fine but the max rpms the tach has read is 5000. The recall on the tach seems to be working properly with the car at idle reving the engine to 2000 it recalls right.  By my ear it sounds like the car is turning way more then 5000 on the track am I wrong or is that around the correct rpms for these engines? I'm thinking the tachs wired to the wrong location on the engine. I'm 99% sure it's an autometer tach I'll check it this afternoon and tell you the model of it.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Tach problem and wiring.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:25:56 pm »
If it is a car tachometer, it will read half of the RPM.
Don't know the exact wiring of it, but I believe that is why the green wire was cut.
I don't run tachs in my cars, so I can't be sure, but keep checking for other issues
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

anything