Author Topic: Base Line Set Up For Dirt  (Read 19014 times)

Offline brads2cl

Base Line Set Up For Dirt
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:49:27 pm »
I've read through most all of the setup handling pages without a definitive answer on what a good baseline setup would be. To give an idea I will be be running 1/4 1/3 and 4/10 mile oval dirt tracks in pennsylvania with medium banking. Whats a good baseline setup to start with. Please include caster, camber, ride heights, cross, left side, front, etc... As much detail as you're willing to give. Just pretend this is a brand new race car that your setting up for the first run out. Any help on this topic would be great.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Base Line Set Up For Dirt
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:33:10 pm »
It's all in the old threads, but try this one and see if that helps you out.

http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=289.0

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:36:10 pm »
I like a neutral car, so my cross is usually 50-50.5%
52 left % and 52 rear %

Springs:
165   185
170  150
Swap the rear springs if you want a looser car.

Tire pressures, assuming you have a beadlock:
10   12
10   9

Camber:
+3  -5

The more caster split you have, the more the car will turn to the left, so that depends on your driving style.
I usually run a 4-5 degree split as I am more of a bottom feeder and keep the car pretty straight.

Very easy to drive, tune to your liking/driving style.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 05:46:34 am »
what tracks are you running ? and what is your car number ?
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline brads2cl

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:00:36 am »
Path Valley, Lincoln, Susquehanna, Trail ways. 6x is my number. I have only been out to 2 shows this season and I haven't scaled the car or anything just getting used to driving it. I noticed that guys were running super low air pressures on the left side, they look like drag slicks somewhere in the realm of 4 psi in the LF and about 6 in the LR.

Offline brads2cl

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:00:27 pm »
So If you do set the car up in a manner that the left is shorter than the right side wheel base, Is the rear still "square" in the end. I've been dirt track racing go karts since I was 12 and learned a decent amount about tires and what not, But I just have no idea where to start with these cars. Also by making the front a arms even with the cross member are you talking about in a ride height manner so its level strait across or angle front to back. One question I would really like to see answered is, If you bought a brand new legend car and took it home to your shop to scale it for the first time. What is the sequence of things you would be doing??? A numbered list with the ending percentages on the scales would be pretty sweet.

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 05:57:12 am »
Brad email me Ill get you in the right direction....
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:59:22 am »
Always start with the rearend square to the frame and adjust any lead with the front suspension.  I usually put about 1/4" lead in the right front but if you are straight up it wont hurt anything.  Jim's setup is a really good starting spot and will get you in the right direction.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.