Author Topic: uncut federals  (Read 8336 times)

Offline Lochner Racing

• #23t Lochner Photography Ford
    • Lochner Racing
uncut federals
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:14:15 pm »
I do not have a legends car yet and am looking at all of the different aspects of the series before I start racing. I have looked around but didnt find quite what I was looking for. I will be racing on a 1/5mile semi banked track and a 1/4 mile flat track, both paved. How do the federals hold up without being cut? I dont think I will be able to afford to get tires cut right away but also dont want the tires to keep me from winning. Do the fed. have bad "chunking" if they are uncut? How about life of the tire? With the little bit of rubber getting cut off improve the tire life to where I could race on the tires longer?

Thanks
William

William Lochner                Lochner Racing
'37 Ford Sedan                    http://lochnerracing.weebly.com/

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car , it's the one who refuses to lose"
- Dale Earnhardt Sr.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: uncut federals
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:23:37 pm »
William,

Also consider into your thinking the cost of having tires cut vs replacing tires. I know you've been looking at the tire threads, so not much I can help you with.
I'll leave the question to the guys that are using them.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Lochner Racing

• Lochner Racing
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 11:33:33 pm »
I saw that argument, no one had any actual tire life numbers, maybe someone will throw out what theyve learned since the switch to these.. Ill have to look into my local tire shops services and see if they can do them. They already supply me with weights, maybe I can squeeze a little bit extra out of them  ;D

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car , it's the one who refuses to lose"
- Dale Earnhardt Sr.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:11:20 am »
i don't think you'll want to run with uncut tires.  It probably won't drive that great and they'll probably wear out quick

Dan

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:38:01 am »
I have no asphalt experience, so I can't comment too much, but I think it will be like oil...everybody uses it, and there are many different formulas to choose. There are different cuts for tires, and different ideas behind the cuts
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 09:44:10 am »
The uncut tires will heat and Harden from sliding them arond, cut tires are the way to go. I welcome you to the series, keep in mind the $100-$150 to cut tires is part of the game. Fuel, pit passes, oil, upkeep, etc. As a dealer I see people get into this not understanding that there are expenses to this hobby and they are ongoing, in the picture of racing it is a reasonable car to race. I have seen folks borrow money to buy the car and later understand that they are in trouble because of a wreck or a motor issue. Please do not be discouraged, but understand there are expenses along the way. Oh ya, do not forget to pay the elctric bill and mortgage. LOL Good luck and if you need help feel free to call.
Denis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline Lochner Racing

• Lochner Racing
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 01:50:12 pm »
LOL thats why Im trying to get my feet wet in legends cars now, still living with my parents so I have a little bit of money to use. Ive raced karts for a year now and understand the ongoing costs. I was just wondering if the cost justified the tire life which it sounds like it does. I was looking at ole dogs site but didnt see any prices. About how much does it cost for a set of cut tires? Ive seen 500 bucks which shouldnt be too bad considering a set of tires is around 400 or so?? I dont know the actual cost so that would be good info too!

Thanks for all the replies!
William

- Dale Earnhardt Sr.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 02:15:26 pm »
From what i've seen its around 25 or 30 bucks a tire to get them cut

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:06:53 pm »
Ol' Dawg tires are $130 and he will cut them how ever you want. Mike Smith is a great guy to deal with and does what you ask him to do.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

knoxracing

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 09:54:54 pm »
We sell ours for $525.00 and by the way one of my cars won today at Kentucky Motor Speedway,.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 10:05:33 pm »
I've heard that it is best to have the tires cut on the wheels you will be running them on, is that correct?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 11:45:57 pm »
After a little research, I came up with this site; CamberCutters.
It's a pretty interesting read on the Federal tires.

http://sites.google.com/site/cambercutters/Home/camber-cutting-process

Hope it gives you some insight.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Lochner Racing

• Lochner Racing
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 02:49:55 am »
thank you for real numbers! Very much appreciated!

Thanks for the awesome link steve!! That page has more info than my brain can handle at 2am, will definitely re-read that one later this week

William

- Dale Earnhardt Sr.

anything