Author Topic: Clutch seems to be slipping  (Read 9105 times)

Offline jcracing

Clutch seems to be slipping
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:44:21 pm »
My son said after a practice (10 laps) seems like the tires spin(break loose) coming out of turns but car does not look  like rear comes loose. Adjusted clutch pedal to have alittle more free play, did not have much before adjustment.   I put a in car camera for the race (20 laps) . After watching and (listening) to camera it seems like the clutch maybe slipping.  We run on asphalt .  Any help or suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks
JCRacing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Clutch seems to be slipping
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 09:16:37 pm »
I'm going to bring up the obvious stuff first...

Using wrong type of oil? Not made for motorcycle wet clutch.
Worn clutch discs?
Are tires slipping (spinning) and just not grabbing enough traction? Set up issue?
Could tires be slipping on the wheel? Simple chalk line on the tire will let you know that. Line it up with the valve stem.

Just some random thoughts.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline jcracing

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:51:48 pm »
Oil is a good question.. need to change oil before we race again, open for suggestions on brands and weights. It maybe related to set up, just getting into adjustments (3rd race under belt).., maybe way off with set up for track.  I did not think about tires slipping, will use chalk line next practice.  We run 3/8 mile , banked track .Nothing but  more practice time for both of us!!!   

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 09:59:16 pm »
Are you using a brand of oil meant for motorcycle wet clutch system now?
Not going to discuss particlular brand. Not important. Many threads on the great oil debate. The JASO designation is important to the wet clutch.

For sure not going to beat getting seat time and knowledge at your track. What track are you running at? Perhaps there is a member that lives near you or has knowledge of that track.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline jcracing

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:33:40 pm »
I have gone to the local cycle shop and talked with parts departments and 1 tech for what they use   but have not  purchased any yet. I was told from the person we got the car from they were using Kendall GT 1  ( 20/50).  I am going to use the brand from the cycle shop and hope this will be the easy fix.

I have been given some set up's for our track  from some  people who have been very helpful  , we are not too far off pace for our 1st year . This forum has also been wealth of information.

Thanks 

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 10:35:08 pm »
A broken axle will feel like a clutch slip and make the car feel loose.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:02:32 pm »
A broken axle will feel like a clutch slip and make the car feel loose.

Randy - RPM

+1, been there.
Good point Randy
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 11:05:54 pm »
I have gone to the local cycle shop and talked with parts departments and 1 tech for what they use   but have not  purchased any yet. I was told from the person we got the car from they were using Kendall GT 1  ( 20/50).  I am going to use the brand from the cycle shop and hope this will be the easy fix.

I have been given some set up's for our track  from some  people who have been very helpful  , we are not too far off pace for our 1st year . This forum has also been wealth of information.

Thanks 

I assume it's the GT1 motorcycle oil, apparently they call all of their oils GT1
http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/brands-products/results.aspx?keyword=&brand=Kendall%20Motor%20Oil&product=Engine%20Oil
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline jcracing

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 08:41:42 pm »
Thanks for all the information and idea's. It could not have been simple, finding that most things aren't . Had to replace clutch, what a difference it makes when you get all the power to the rear wheels. My son had to learn to drive car all over again (small price to pay).I really find this forum very helpful and have given this site to a couple of other new racers .

Thanks again
JCracing

Offline albertjames

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 06:18:09 pm »
you shouldnt really be revving it that hard within the first few minutes of starting the car....the oil has got to get around the engine first
Sanford and Son Junk Cars - Junk Cars Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia