Author Topic: Oil Filter Cover  (Read 5236 times)

Offline atlawson21

Oil Filter Cover
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:03:04 am »
Just seeing if anyone else has had this happen to them in the past.

This past weekend I was racing and a caution came out with two laps to go.  I was running in third place at the time.  When I came across to take the white flag smoke started coming from the engine.  I was able to wrestle the car back around and finish third.  After pulling in the pits after the race, it was apparent there was an oil leak.  Oil around the track, and a big oil puddle where I pulled in and stop in the pits.  But there was no big holes in the block or anything of that nature.   After getting the car home, and jacking it up it appeared it was coming from the rear of the engine around the stock oil filter cover.  I took it off and there was a small crack in it around the oil filter bolt.  Appears it could have came from overtightening this after installing a new oil filter.  When i took the oil filter cover off there was alot of oil that came out of it and when i drained the oil pan there was still oil in it.  I'd say all in total at least a quart if not more, so I did not run the engine dry.  A majority of the oil that did come out  was after i stopped and pulled in the pits.  I also had just put new AMSOIL in the motor before this race.  None of the oil that i inspected had any metal or metallic pieces in it.

My question is has anyone else had this happen before, and do you think I could have done any internal damage to the motor?   

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Oil Filter Cover
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:36:49 pm »
Common occurrence, it happens all of the time. I doubt you did any damage to the engine based on the statement of a big puddle of oil after you came to the pits.

I have a new cover including center bolt for $25.00

Or since you are still running the stock oil filter you might want to think about converting over to a spin conversion. This way you eliminate the cast aluminum that can fail and the difficulty putting the stock housing on.

RPM Spin-on oil filter adapter

Randy - RPM
www.RPMracingCa.com
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:56:04 pm »
I had a similiar issue with oil loss when my spin on filter blew out the rubber seal. I  had about 1-1.5 liters oil of oil left in the pan and filter when drained. I pulled some cam caps to check for any wear and everything was fine. Now I check my oil filter for tightness every event.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:59:13 pm »
I'm new to this and took my car to second to have it looked over and set up.  When he saw that We had the filter in the rear he  told me to buy a remote filter because the car was going to over heat. Stated that the filter sitting where it does, does not get any air to cool it. Our car has a small Setrap to cool the pan oil and another to cool the top end. Other then thinking the cooler for the pan kind of small, I like the set up. Any thoughts from you guys? Is there a bigger filter that will fit in the back? Currently there is a small one.

Thanks,

Robert

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 05:44:27 pm »
Not alot of clearance for a BIG filter in the rear.
There are pluses and minuses to any system. I like the rear spin on adapter like Randy sells because the filter is tucked back there out of the way, but I also like the remore filter for convenience, and you can use any size filter you like, though I use the small WIX (51515?) with my remote adapter on the dirt to keep the rocks from taking out a filter
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:39:34 pm »
I am a big fan of the rear spin on, never any issues and it has almost no chance of failing as long as you tighten your filter properly.  You wont see any cooling affect from the filter in the rear vs the front of the engine.  Having the remote filter adds more oil volume to your system which helps a little with cooling.  It sounds like he wants to sell some parts.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

anything