Author Topic: Will not go in to gear  (Read 7053 times)

Offline racerdad

Will not go in to gear
« on: March 08, 2012, 09:11:04 pm »
So I replace the clutch master and replaced braided line. Bled the clutch 2 ways. First opened bleeder and pushed pedal down then close bleeder. Did this about 10 times. Started car and tried to put in gear and engine died. So I opened bleeder and gravity bled the clutch. Still kill engine. Made the rod on the clutch pedal as long as I could. Still kills engine. Looked at the slave and it is moving but not much. I do not know how much it should move so it may move as much as it needs. Is there Any thing else I need to do that I do not know about. Thanks cody                                   

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Will not go in to gear
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:28:43 pm »
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline racerdad

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:52 am »
No those are mostly about shifter linkage. I really think it is clutch because it will go in gear just fine but it makes a drive line clang and kills the engine. And when I start it in gear the car jumps ( with my foot on clutch) . But thanks for effort though. Thanks cody

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 12:19:15 am »
Did it work before you changed the master cylinder? Does the cylinder have any pressure that can be felt to indicate it is moving the slave?

Also, make sure the salve bolts are all on the engine and they are tight. Several times I have had cars come in with one bolt that fell out, and the second one is either loose or broken. This allows the slave to move away from the engine when the clutch is depressed instead of disengaging the clutch.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 09:13:31 am »
Also you may need to warm up the engine before the clutch with fully disengage, I had that on my first legends car.  Let it run a couple minutes and it worked fine.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 11:17:15 am »
Was it sitting all winter, or have you run it already?
If it was sitting, I've had the same experience jeff described
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline racerdad

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 01:37:38 pm »
Yes there is pressure at the clutch pedal and the slave does move. I do not know if the clutch worked or not we pushed it in and out the trailer. How many bolts should there be in the master?

Yes the car has been sitting all winter. Matter of fact it's been sitting for about 3yr I have started and let it warm up. I did let it warm up this time but not a lot it did not move the needle on the temp gauge. I will be able to work on the car sat.  So I can check these things then.

If you have Any other ideas let me know and I will try them sat.
Thanks Cody

Offline brads2cl

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 07:17:00 pm »
I'm having the same exact issue with my car, it acts like the clutch is half engaged. When the engine is cold it will shut it down when you pull the clutch in and shift into first. If I figure out what it is I will let you know.

Offline racerdad

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 11:01:22 pm »
Well make sure you warm the engine up till it moves the temp gauge move. My clutch worked great after I got it all warmed up. I drove it around the block that's going to be alot of car for my little girl. Well that's why weare going to practice this year . Thanks again cody