Author Topic: Automatic Fuel Shut Off  (Read 6515 times)

Offline km4hr

Automatic Fuel Shut Off
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:39:50 am »
What happens if the fuel line on a Legends car gets cut open or if it's involved in a crash. Does the fuel continue to flow?

Offline Vern Houseman

Re: Automatic Fuel Shut Off
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:17:13 pm »
yes
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline rob

• J & R Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:15:26 pm »
600 has a electrical cutoff for the fuel pump, that when the motor shuts down the pump will stop.
there have been problems with them, we have been ussing one for the last two years without a problem.
Rob

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:36:45 pm »
They mandated the fuel cutoff switch 5 or 6 years ago, but due to problems, they reversed it a year or so later. I think that some states require a fuel shut off (NJ?).
Otherwise, yes, your fuel will continue to pump
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:59:32 pm »
The fuel shut off was blamed for red box failure. There are centrifugal switches available that work from G-Force impact. They are not very expensive, but I have not spent enough time with them to tell you if they are fail safe.  The fuel system on a Legend car is probably the biggest safety issue out there right now. These cars should ALL have steel cells and some sort of safety flow switch, no excuse end of story.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 05:23:45 pm »
NJ you just have to have a manual shut off valve if I'm correct and it is on the the packing tray. I have seen flips and the carbs get knocked off and the fuel is still getting pumped until you shut off the switch. NOT GOOD.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline km4hr

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 06:24:47 pm »
Don't all modern cars have an impact/rollover fuel cut switch? Don't they also have low pressure cut off in case of ruptured fuel lines?  Seems like such devices would be pretty common (and cheap) by now.

What about NASCAR and other race sanctioning bodies? Wonder what their rules require? Just curious.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:31:31 pm »
We are still in the stone ages in Legends as far as fuel safety.
I was upside down for a while and probably emptied a gallon of fuel on myself  before I woke up and turned the switch off
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline thunder938

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 08:06:50 am »
You can run one of these..Not for dirt I think the bouncing around may be too much.  But me buddy ran one on pavement and had no problems.

Fuel Pump Shut-Off Switch - Inertia Activated
Our Inertia Activated Fuel Pump Shut-Off Switch will cut power to an electric fuel pump after an impact of 10 to 12 G's or higher, reducing the risk of post-crash fires caused by pressurized fuel sprayed from ruptured fuel lines. This is such a cost effective safety item that many production cars have similar switches installed as original equipment. Includes plug-in wiring harness, mounting template, hardware and full instructions. Installation time averages less than 30 minutes. The kit is a universal fit for any vehicle with an electric fuel pump. Resets with a simple push on the top of the switch

Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies   65 bucks
Dave

igotmylegend

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 03:56:31 pm »
Looks like a simple design, I don't see why it wouldn't work for dirt too. 10 to 12 g's is a lot

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:19:31 am »
Is this something that we would need to get an approval letter on from INEX to make it official if an inspector questions it? 

Offline thunder938

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 06:26:44 pm »
you could touch base with your tech, but we ran one for years and the local dealer also ran one for a while
Dave