Author Topic: need help with oil pump  (Read 3943 times)

Offline racerdad

need help with oil pump
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:10:36 pm »
i need to make sure that ken shimmed the low side of the oil pump  but i can not reach him. is there a way to check with a oil psi tool when the engine is in the car. i put the hank scott oil system in the car and want to make sure every thing will be ok. if there is can you tell me how and what psi i am looking for.
thanks cody

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: need help with oil pump
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:29:44 pm »
You will need to pull your pan and check the pressure "relief" valve(s) to see if there has been a washer installed under the cotter pin.

Unfortunately the oil pressure is not raised by shimming the relief valve(s), the point where the pressure will be relieved has been altered.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:15:20 am »
I installed Hank's 3 port system last summer. I asked Hank about this at that time and he said it doesn't matter if the low side is shimmed or not. Everything worked extremely well. I used his system on 2 motors, 1 shimmed and 1 not shimmed, no issues what so ever! Just make sure to bleed the oil system as in his notes that came with the system.   8) Bob

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:52:30 pm »
Yes that is correct. i have been saying this over and over. Yoy do not need to have anything shimmed or pressure boosted or relieved to run a 3 port filter. There is constant flow through the filter and cooler system. Picture the filter like a drum with two inlets, one with 50 lbs pressure and one with 25lbs pressure. The arguement is that the higher pressure will backfeed into the lower pressure line, if the drum or filter were sealed then it could happen. BUT since there is free flow and the filter or drum is not sealed there is no way there will be back flow into the low preesure line. I am not saying there are no benefits to the shimming, as it will boost preesure at lower rpms, but you can run the three port adapter without this.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212