Author Topic: Safest / Best Method to Lift Motor  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Earnst85

Safest / Best Method to Lift Motor
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:52:02 am »
Just bought a legends car recently and I am tearing it down to the frame to check it over.  What is the best/ safest way to lift the engine?

I have seen the engine hoist devices on websites, but as of right now I only have a standard engine hoist with slings and chains to lift.  Also, keep in mind that I am by myself.  I don't have anyone to help me team lift the engine. Just me and my hoist.

Any suggestions would be helpful, I don't want to damage something.  As I am a visual learner, any pics of pickup points etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Safest / Best Method to Lift Motor
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:21:51 am »
Pick it up, thats what I do.
Much easier when you have a friend, but I've swapped motors out myself multiple times.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:46:11 am »
So if I unbolt the motor mounts from the frame, It should be light enough to just pickup?

How heavy are we talking?  I work smart, not hard...
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:18:52 am »
I've never weighed one but I'm guessing the motor on it's own has got to be close to 250LBs

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:03:51 pm »
200lbs, do not try to man handle it yourself.  get a friend or someone to help you. Do not put your hand under the front clutch cover, the gasket often stick out down there and can be like a razor, lift it from the sides.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:22:23 pm »
I pick things up and put them down.  ;D ;D.  I'd be careful lifting them they can get heavy after a while once your out or in midway.  USLC sells an engine brace that you can hook your chains up to.

Dan

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 02:08:41 pm »
you will need 2  (2ft or so) small chains from your engine hoist. Hook 1 with the center of the chain on the hoist and each end hanging down. Slide one end over exhaust stud on the #1 cyl, and one over an exhaust stud on the #4 cylinder. Screw the nut back on, with a big enough washer to not let the chain come off. For the other side of the engine (carb side) get a long, (6" or so) 3/8" bolt. Slide it through the "handle" on the engine case and attach the chain. Again, use a washer that will not allow the chain to come off.

Take it easy when lifting and make sure you are not snagged on anything. I have done this several dozen times, and never had an issue. Just be careful and go slow to make sure everything is secure. If you don't have an engine stand, use an old tire and set the motor in the center of it.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 02:18:00 pm »
you will need 2  (2ft or so) small chains from your engine hoist. Hook 1 with the center of the chain on the hoist and each end hanging down. Slide one end over exhaust stud on the #1 cyl, and one over an exhaust stud on the #4 cylinder. Screw the nut back on, with a big enough washer to not let the chain come off. For the other side of the engine (carb side) get a long, (6" or so) 3/8" bolt. Slide it through the "handle" on the engine case and attach the chain. Again, use a washer that will not allow the chain to come off.

Take it easy when lifting and make sure you are not snagged on anything. I have done this several dozen times, and never had an issue. Just be careful and go slow to make sure everything is secure. If you don't have an engine stand, use an old tire and set the motor in the center of it.

Sounds like a plan... Little concerned about using the exhaust studs, but I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and warnings.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends