Author Topic: Traveling to races  (Read 7522 times)

Offline JGRacing

Traveling to races
« on: November 06, 2007, 06:17:27 pm »
Does anyone on here ever travel to out of town races with an open trailer?  At the moment I have a pretty decent open trailer with a box on the front and will not be able to upgrade in the near future to an enclosed.  With a legends car I will probably need to make some overnight trips and did not know how to best secure the car at a hotel, short of getting a really mean looking guard dog.  I've always raced locally, so never had to deal with this before. 

Offline elimn8u_43

Re: Traveling to races
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 07:37:03 pm »
I used to travel with an open trailer and made a few overnight stays. I never did anything special to secure the car but things may be different up here in the Great White North. I would maybe advise to put a locking cover on your truck to secure your spares and tools. You could also wrap a chain through the chassis of your car and lock it to the trailer. I hope that this helps.

Geoff

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 09:22:11 pm »
John,
 I never traveled any farther than it would take to get home in one night.  I have spent some real long nights though!

I agree with Geoff; Chain it down, and Lock It Up. For the most part that will work.
If a thief is dead set on stealing something; Not much you can do. Protect yourself the best you can. Insurance might not cost as much as you think. My car was stolen right out of my backyard. I've spent more than the cost of buying another car just to replace what I've lost.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

xtime

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:17:01 pm »
Buy a car cover and at night wrap the car up with bungies, especially the motor,  in case of a rain and/or dust storm. Had it happen....was not any fun the next day!!!
Tim

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 11:53:33 am »
Good ideas.  Thanks for the advice.  I was also thinking about maybe hiding a cheap motion activated alarm from Radio Shack inside of the car when it is parked overnight.   A thief might find it and turn it off pretty quickly, but hopefully it would be enough to scare away most people.  Maybe some kind of motion activated death ray might work also.   Now I just need to actually get a car. :) 

anything