Author Topic: wheels  (Read 12021 times)

Offline Kerry 2

wheels
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:59:34 pm »
I am getting my wheels and tires together for my first season of racing... Are the new light weight basset wheels the way to go?
Thanks
Kerry

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: wheels
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:53:51 am »
There is no official rule published yet. I'd hold off on buying wheels right now, but most likely thats the way to go
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 11:06:02 am »
Liteweight wheels arent going to win you races, I would save your money unless you have to buy new wheels.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:53:21 pm »
Sorry Jeff, but I have to disagree you.  The new wheels are 5 lbs lighter each per wheel for a total of 20 lbs less rotating weight, which on these small cars is alot.  For dirt racing, it may be no big deal, but for asphalt racing it is a big deal.  I would recommend the Aero wheels over the Bassetts as recommended to me by a Legends dealer.  ;)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline Kerry 2

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 04:09:59 pm »
I'll hold off until the new rules are finalized. We are going to be racing on asphalt only. Thanks for the advice.  :)

knoxracing

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 04:50:01 pm »
There is NO WAY that the Aero or Bassett light weight sold by USLC will be ILLegal in 2012.  We dealers are selling them daily, USLC has in no way made any changes to  this rule.  Yes you will save about 16 lbs. and if you are running 1" lug nuts and switch to a 3/4 nut you will lose about 18 lbs. If you run your cars at minimun like we do, you will need to buy a bar of lead. I think this is a good thing to be able to reduce rotating weight and add bottom weight, or if your car is heavy you can reduce weight. the flip side is they are pricey and the light wheels WILL NOT take the abuse. Will it put you up front, no.  It is a piece in the puzzle that when all asembled will give you a car capable of runing up front, yes. Set up and tires are the main key.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 05:32:18 pm »
I am always wary of buying new things until they are in the rule book.

Careful Dennis... there was no update to the wheel or tire weight rule published since March of 2010, so the most recent rule is:

75. WHEELS: Any type of automotive steel wheel that has a 13” diameter, a 7” width and the offset of 3” to 3 1/4” from back rim edge to back of wheel center is permitted. The minimum weight of a BF Goodrich tire and wheel must be at least 36.0 pounds without additional weights. The minimum weight of a Federal tire must be at least 31.0 pounds. All wheel weights must be covered with duct tape. Bleeder or relief valves are not permitted in the wheels. INEX approved (and marked) beadlock wheel will be allowed to be used on the right rear corner ONLY.
My cars are both underweight as it is with the "old" 18lb wheels on them.

...which, I believe, makes every wheel that has been sold since the new lightweight wheel became available illegal per the latest publication of the rule book. I'm sure they will update the rule book for 2012, but as of right now just about everyone is illegal, even the dirt guys because the AR is much lighter than the BFG was...just a technicality, but I don't want to see anyone get burned.

I also wonder about possible reliability issues of the lighter wheels on dirt with some of the rougher tracks, and wonder if having the 20lb beadlock on the RR and a 13 lb wheel on the left rear will be an issue.

Either way, Bassett only makes the 13lb wheel now, so you don't have a choice if you want Bassett.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline slack11

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:09:00 pm »
I'm looking at these for next year, any preferences between the aero or the Bassett.  I only ran the unique wheels last year.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:45:56 pm »
the wheels coming from USLC that I have seen now have a tag on them saying INEX approved.  Both Bassets and Aero's.  While I know the rule a couple of years ago sent guys into a frenzy i don't think we will see that again.  Also Dennis is a USLC dealer and seems to be up on the know.  Buy your wheels from your certified USLC dealer and you will be fine.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:59:27 am »
Correct. All I am saying is that by the current version of the rule book, they will be illegal.
As I said, I'm sure it will be changed this year though.
I am sure that any lightweight wheel will have to have the INEX sticker on it to be legal.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

knoxracing

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:27:21 pm »
I can assure you, the current light weight wheels with the stickers and the engraving of INEX on them WILL not be illegal! The rule book  does not talk about the lightweight wheel because the wheels were not available  until the latter part of 2011. The rule book was printed well before the wheel came out. THESE WHEELS WILL BE LEGAL.  The wheel weighs less and cost more, who do you think is making out in this one? Hint- not the dealers! USLC was told last year that Bassett would not be making the standard wheel anymore, therefore if  USLC wanted to continue with Bassett they would go Lightweight, they agreed and brought Aero on board.  The tire guys I have dealt with feel the Aero wheel is a truer wheel, opinion!
Dennis knox
330-310-9212
Buckeye Legends

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 06:58:03 pm »
When I was down at USLC this summer they were flying off the shelves. I asked about them and they told me that they took a worn out tire and mounted it on the wheel and weight it. It came to 28 lbs. if I remember correctly and so the made the new rule 27 lbs. min. I ask them what if I put the AR tire on it would be below that. I was told that " If  you get DQ'ed you just have to call and Scott would straighten it all out". So long story short. If the mother ship is selling them and everyone at the summer shootout was running them I'm guessing that they are legal. They just never think about dirt guys though. Wonder why?
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 10:22:06 pm »
  The wheel weighs less and cost more, who do you think is making out in this one? Hint- not the dealers! USLC was told last year that Bassett would not be making the standard wheel anymore, therefore if  USLC wanted to continue with Bassett they would go Lightweight, they agreed and brought Aero on board. 

USLC is making the money on that one Dennis, which I have no problem with, thats why they are in business, but the cost to USLC  from Bassett is the same as the previous wheels, that I can guarantee you.
I also have to disagree 100% with the rest of the statement, but I was not there first hand for the discussions, so I will not say anything other than Bassett didn't threaten to stop making wheels for USLC as you were told.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Kerry 2

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 07:30:26 pm »
Sounds like the light weight wheels are the way to go!
Thanks gentlemen.

anything