Author Topic: installing axles  (Read 10595 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
installing axles
« on: December 28, 2011, 10:11:00 pm »
Sounds like a stupid problem, but... I'm having trouble getting the short axle in i got the long one in no problem.  But when i get to the short one it gets to the point where it is in the gears but the bearing is about to enter the race.  right there it stops and won't go any farther.  i tried swaping axles from the other car and still no luck.  I know the tube is straight so that wouldn't be a problem

Thanks,
Dan

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: installing axles
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:56:11 pm »
Have you tried a different rear chunk?
Could be a spline issue
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 12:15:06 am »
The gear came out of the other car so i believe those were fine.  I was able to end up getting the axle in, its tight but its in

Dan

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 05:51:42 am »
check to see if axle is bent ?????
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:32:24 am »
check to see if axle is bent ?????
Axles are straight we tried 2 different ones

Dan

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:46:35 pm »
Sometimes you have to pull out a rubber persuader and help it go in.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 03:45:54 pm »
rubber mallet always gets it in there.

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 04:55:08 pm »
If your axles are straight and you have a quality housing, you will be able to remove and install these axles WITHOUT anything.  At worst a slight bump to seat it.  Honestly guys our house cars axles  basically fall out, if you have bind, you have issues somewhere. The importance of a dead straight housing is so critical to the whole set-up, if the housing is off you have issues. i do not know if  it is as critical on dirt, but I can promise you a TWEAKED HOUSING is a set-up nightmare on asphalt.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 05:03:08 pm »
Denis,  I have had brand new housings and brand new axls and still needed a bit of help in and out.  These housings are also coming from some of the best guys in the business.  it is usually the bearing getting caught up on the backing plate or a little tight on the seal in the housing but I have never had one fall out.

Are you using 600 housings and axls or some other supplier?

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 05:09:41 pm »
I should expand too and say I use the brake drum on backwards as a puller to just give it a nudge out and going in it is usually seated enough to get the nuts on but I give it a tap and it sets in further.

Offline ethan54

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 05:12:21 pm »
I should expand too and say I use the brake drum on backwards as a puller to just give it a nudge out and going in it is usually seated enough to get the nuts on but I give it a tap and it sets in further.
i pretty much do exactly as stated. never had an issue doing it this way
Ethan Ross
Ross Brothers Racing #54

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 05:13:42 pm »
I just got the rear end straightened and i could tell the axle was getting hung up by the bearing.  I do know that i've had axles that are tough to get out even with a straight rear end.  I invested in an axle puller and it does the job.  

Dan

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 05:14:39 pm »
So basically do you use the nuts to pull the axle in?

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 10:24:57 pm »
I didn't mean hammer the dang thing in. I just meant that sometimes you have to give a little bump to get in. If your having to do more than that something is seriously wrong. Have you used the gear in the car before? You might have to pull the pumpkin back out and check it.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

knoxracing

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 10:46:36 pm »
I do agree that removing the axle smoothly and installing it smoothly requires everything to be ligned up nicely (backing plate, spring, etc.)  i am fortunate to have a laser system for squaring the rear end, when I laser a car i shoot both rear wheels, then I roll the rear wheels 180 degrees and laser it again, if the numbers change  I can tell if a wheel or axle is tweaked. Also if the number are off I can tell if the housing is jacked. Never fails if the housing show tweaked, when I remove the axles it is a fight. When I reassemble with straight stuff its smooth sailing. I will tell you guys, I am a dealer and NEVER used USLC housings until recently. I am now comfortable with the housings and the new jig process, they laser staright and the numbers are good. Like I said a little tap to seat the axles is fine, if you have to force the issue you have areal problem.