Author Topic: Sealed vs. unsealed status  (Read 8747 times)

Offline T48

• Sugar Babies Outfitters
Sealed vs. unsealed status
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:48:11 pm »
Does anyone know, or has anyone heard, whether or not a decision has been made by 600 Racing about the change to sealed engines and rebuilding only in NC?  I've been asked, and haven't heard the outcome - if any - of that situation.

Thanks if anyone can give me that info.  ;)

-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline thunder938

Re: Sealed vs. unsealed status
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 04:16:41 pm »
The word is that by Dec this year all sealed will be done in-house at 600 and if you do not have a motor at a builder now then it would have to go to 600.  I also here that Blue Print engines in NV has signed with 600 to be the west coast builder.  So, 600 in NC or Blue Print in NV.  And on that note I dont live near either and with the cost of shipping and a broken crank on a sealed Joyce motor..............mmmmmmmmmm.............I have a new OPEN motor ready to go in.

Dave , Northern Ohio Legends 41 ;D
Dave

Offline thunder938

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 04:57:52 pm »
This is the info from another group...

600 racing has notified a number of seal builders East of the
Mississippi of their impending release on Dec 20 2007. Ken Joyce, Curt
Andrews, Larry McBride, Doug Stevens, and Kendirk in FL. Their may be
more, but according to what I was told, these guys were informed via a
phone call from Darrell and a followed up letter. Whatever sealed
engines are in their shop, they are to give the MTR number to 600 and
will recieve seals for that engine to finish. If you don't have your
engine at one of these guys shop, I guess you'll have to sent it to 600
or maybe one of the others not let go yet. Progress or failure, time
will tell.  :-\
Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 06:28:47 pm »
Any idea on how they would handle motors worked on prior to the cutoff?  Would they still be legal and would just have to go to 600 Racing for future work?  Do the sealed engine authorized shops send something to 600 Racing when work is done currently?  I just want to have an idea of where this is headed before I go used car shopping. 

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 06:40:14 pm »
The way I understand this is that if the motor has a seal on it and it is after that Dec 20 and the seal needs to be removed for any service, none too small, the motor HAS TO go to 600 or Blue Print.  And maybe you will not have a choice if west coast Blue Print if east coast 600, I dont know what 600 will do.  I went with a OPEN motor that my fellow racers and I can work on.  I live in Ohio and shipping my broken motor to Andrews just to have it looked at was 600 bucks there and back. :'(

I think this new rules will make alot of guys find and build OPEN motors.

Dave, Northern Ohio Legends 41
Dave

Offline T48

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 02:27:35 pm »
Part of what we heard previously was that when this change took effect that unsealed engines would be phased out, at least on sanctioned tracks, and that only sealed engines would be sold at 600 or legal to run in sanctioned race.  This part wrong?
-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline thunder938

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 04:19:19 pm »
From what I hear from builders and are local dealer is that 600 is NOT going to outlaw the OPEN motors.  There are too many people out there with a shop full of parts.  600 has said that the 1200 will dry some day, but they are not going to "outlaw" them.......

Dave

Offline T48

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 12:04:18 pm »
Thanks for the info.  That at least makes us feel a little better, considering we have an "open" motor.  ;)