Author Topic: Fuel and Oil line question  (Read 4039 times)

Offline rfd233

Fuel and Oil line question
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:49:23 am »
 Hello all,  I have a 5/16 fuel line that I want to connect directly to the carburetor, however the T fitting on the Carburetor seems a tad to small.  I've seen some guys connect a smaller fuel line to the 5/16 line just before the carburetor and others just clamp the heck out of the fuel line directly to the carburetor.   What do you guys recommend? 

My second question is about a crankcase breather.  I found in the forums about using a line from the crankcase to the breather and then to the oil fill.  I'm not quite sure what fittings/adapters I need.     

I really appreciate the help.  I'm rebuilding a legend from the ground up for the first time. Between Metric, SAE, NPT, AN, Hose ID, OD, Course thread and fine thread I'm going crazy.  I feel like no two connections are the same on this thing. 

Keith

Offline Legends57x

Re: Fuel and Oil line question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 01:27:40 pm »
Regarding the fuel line, most people apply a few layers of electrical tape to area of braided hose to be cut so you end up with a nice clean cut end without the SS hose braid sticking up all over.  Then apply a few layers of electrical tape where hose clamp would install and install hose clamp, clamping good & tight.  Some people install some sort of bushing(teflon) on to the carburetor inlet connection in order to make up for the 5/16" hose ID, but I wouldn't suggest that as then you are defeating the purpose of the hose barb.

As far as the breather, Jim at VMS Motorsports(check out his website) sells a nice breather tank w/breather for a reasonable price and he can help you with fittings and hose also.  Breather hose should be 1/2" ID.

Good luck!  ;)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline rfd233

Re: Fuel and Oil line question
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:11:13 am »
Thank you very much for that info.  I was hoping to be able to hook the fuel line up directly.   The electric tape will work.

Keith