Author Topic: tires  (Read 6849 times)

Offline racerdad

tires
« on: November 25, 2011, 07:24:15 pm »
so i have never ran a tire that  was cut so if these questions seem stupid sorry.
when you cut the tires is it just to camber cut or does it do more. do you get your stager bye cutting more or less off the tire? (so do you tell your tire cutter how much stagger?) how much stagger can you get with the fed. tires?
thanks cody

Offline Legends57x

Re: tires
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:13:36 pm »
Tires are basically camber cut to improve overall surface contact of tire.  Camber cutting also prevents chunking out of outer edges of tire. If not cut, outer edges of tire will overheat due to uneven contact.  As far as I know, all Federal tires are basically the same circumference and thus there is no stagger, unlesss you're able to pick out specific tires from a dealer.   ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

igotmylegend

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:09:01 am »
What Mark said, theirs not much stagger  maybe 1/8 or so and you'll get a little less rotating  weight.  If you don't get cut tires  chances are they will chunk out before you use them up.

Offline racerdad

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 01:22:22 pm »
so no stagger thats got to make things a lttle difficult.  is there any thing i should know about or watch out for when finding some one that does tires? you know any helpful info.
thanks cody

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 01:50:27 pm »
Just depends on what your goal is. The more they cut, the more camber you can get, but the shorter the tire life will be
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

igotmylegend

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 02:37:37 pm »
I've ran ole dawg and dan snyder tires i think dans are a little faster but just a little.

Offline racerdad

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 11:47:37 pm »
so i got some used tires and rims. the tires are camber cut fed. tires. i put them on the car the way the rims and tires were marked and the way they are camber cut looks wrong but like i said i have never had camber cut tire before. if you are looking at the left side tires there is more cut on the inside and less on the outside of the tire and the right side there is more cut on the outside and less on the inside of the tire. is that the way they should be?
thanks cody

Offline thunder938

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 08:50:31 am »
..No, that is not right
Dave

igotmylegend

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:21:07 am »
No that's right , the left side should not be cut that much. But the right side is cut allot, I think the reason  there cut like that is the tire rolls over so you want to pull the out side edge off the right side and the inside edge off the lefts, the tread should be pointing at the front of the car. now if you find a set of new camber cut tires that you like they will get worn down but all you have to do is change out right side all year.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 03:26:14 pm »
Actually, there IS stagger. It is done in the cutting. With a new set of tires, you should have left sides that are about 69 3/4 - 69 7/8" and right sides that are 70 - 70 1/4" The left sides can be cut more, because they don't wear out as fast. Cut tires are not cut tires. What I mean is one cut from person A is not anything like a cut by person B. Tires will make .5 seconds or more difference just in how they are cut.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 04:46:56 pm »
OK...Let's go further with this.  What tire pressure are the tires cut at when cutting the tire?   Race pressures or some other standard pressure? ???
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x