Author Topic: Rear Brake Drum weight?  (Read 6171 times)

Offline joeyD156

Rear Brake Drum weight?
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:13:58 pm »
Was looking at the rule book and it states that the rear brake hubs must weigh at least 10lbs.  Checked mine and they are heavier than that.  Are most of the brake hubs right at 10 lbs, or are most heavier.  Are there differences between different types or manufacturers? 

Hoopy_boy

Re: Rear Brake Drum weight?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:20:29 pm »
 Most are heavier than the rule... the weight rule is designed to allow for trimming of the surface to minimum spec of  most manufacturers of the aftermarket production variety. The weight rule is also in place to keep us from buying aluminum drums and keeping the cost perspective of the class in tact.
It might be a bright idea to try drop rotating mass weight for more power but a feller still has to know how to drive with all the tricks done to the car once all the performance enhancing and weight saving parts are installed. LOL I think we have all thought about losing weight off drums for more power.. trust me
My style of driving on dirt... I only need brakes to stop on the scale afterwards haha

~Gimpster~

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:34:04 pm »
I have too much of a spare tire to worry about cutting drums on my car  :P
If I lose 40 pounds or so, then I may look into other weight saving ideas
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:47:34 pm »
 Just checked my weight since you mentioned that. Have to drop 20 lbs of lead on my chassis if I were to race tomorrow to make weight. Still light but better than the 50 needed before !

~ Gimp ~

anything