Author Topic: Help please!!! thread size for driveshaft adapter nut?  (Read 7332 times)

Offline MMLegends28

Help please!!! thread size for driveshaft adapter nut?
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:38:30 pm »
Hey fellow racers... question.  Does anyone know the size of the thread where the nut goes onto the motor that holds the drive shaft adapter in place?  This past weekend the adapter fell off completely and im assuming the drive shaft hit the threads causing just enough damage that I cant get the nut started.  The threads on the nut are fine.  I'm looking for the right sized thread chaser/ file to get this thing un-boogered.  Any help/ideas is appreciated!!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Help please!!! thread size for driveshaft adapter nut?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 01:43:02 pm »
I believe it is a 1.5mm pitch
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline MMLegends28

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:32:13 pm »
Thank you!  I just came back from Vernon's and he mentioned you had told him the same thing yesterday. 

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 04:23:33 pm »
 For times like that I keep the Ness 1, 2 and 3 in my tool chest. I would be broke if I had to buy all the tap/die sizes that I encounter. Anything else needing quick thread repair, I have a small triangular rat tail file (4 or 5 inches long) and thinly tapered that I fix threads with. lol I think it ia about as thick as 2 fingernail files, back to back, at it's thickest edge. Here is the link for the Ness Thread repair tool http://www.newmantools.com/nes.htm

~ Gimpster ~

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 04:35:42 pm »
Threads are 1.5 pitch. inside of nut threads measure 20.5 mm and outside of  shaft threads measures 22 mm

Offline MMLegends28

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 04:42:55 pm »
Thanks a ton, that looks like it just might work!  Soooo with the outside threads being 22mm that would be NES2?  Im looking for a place to order it but I think Ill have to call them tomorrow I bet. 

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 04:55:59 pm »
Watch out where you get one from... I have seen them range from 50 bucks to 85 bucks for the smallest one... I believe when I purchased mine, I bid on them on Ebay

~ Gimp ~

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 05:01:42 pm »
Also, on the top of the tool (fixed blade end) there are 2 blades. Adjustable is one blade. This can be a pain in the butt when trying to straighten short threads, as only one top blade threads along with the single bottom. The offset can cause the tool to cock off to the side and remake the threads at an angle or skip over a damaged thread like when the end of the shaft is hit from the end bending the threads down on like 1/4 round of the threads. Patience while working the tool back and forth a little at a time can overcome the issues mentioned above

~ Gimp ~

Offline MMLegends28

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:15:44 pm »
I think my dad found one at Sears but it was too small.  Ebay would not be an option.  My goal is to make it to the track by next saturday's candy bowl.  Do you think the NES2 one is the right size? 

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 05:37:39 pm »
 The 2 is the size for that shaft. If you have another nut, take a hacksaw and cut 4 notches (12 oclock, 3 oclock 6 oclock and 9 oclock positions)  in the threads of  it and try to thread the shaft. Many times that will fix the threads of the shaft because the nut is hard enough to cut and straighten the threads on the shaft

Offline apm motorsports

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:40:39 pm »
your adapter should  have 2 screws that go in to hold the nut tight if not then drill and tap make sure u use set screws flush with adp

anything