Author Topic: US Legends Dirt Modified  (Read 18819 times)

Offline bback58

US Legends Dirt Modified
« on: September 17, 2011, 11:09:24 pm »
I stopped at our dealer's shop today - big mistake.  He has one of the new dirt modifieds in.  Took it for short drive on the street.  Now I can't wait to take a test drive on the track.  If he can get something going in ND, I might be looking to get into a racecar again.   

Brian B

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: US Legends Dirt Modified
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 10:02:26 am »
What was the price on it Brian?
That seems to be the elephant in the room nobody will talk about
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline bback58

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 11:30:54 am »
I didn't get a "quote" but it sounds like it is mid $17K.  I was too busy drooling over it to ask much for sensible questions.
Brian B

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:38:28 am »
If you ever get an actual price, let us know, it would be interesting to compare against other forms of racing
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 03:31:26 pm »
 Past experience, first hand here... cheaper to snag up on a Henchcraft, Foz, ART chassis or the like. A racer has a decent right rear tire and a wing in the mini sprint division. Plus they are easier to get in and out of along with the ability to run a liquid cooled engine up to 1200cc. More bang for the buck. Personally, I don't think the Dirt Mod will take off as a division drivers will strive to get into across the nation whith the better alternatives out there when stepping up from a Legends Car.

~ Gimp ~

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 05:01:14 pm »
Heck a friend of mine just pick up a nice used NASCAR Late Model for 10K with extra's. I know its not dirt but they are going to have to get the price down before I see it taking a hold. I did sit in one and think it would be fun to drive. Just my opinion.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 05:58:49 pm »
 Bad timing on their part, trying to unload a new division with an overpriced chassis in this economy. So you get a 5 or 6 thousand dollar engine... take that out off the price and  I don't see an 11 or 12 thousand dollar chassis. Some tubing, axles, tires, shocks, seat and steering wheel along with a little fiberglass for 12 grand ??  B-z-z-z-t-t-t goes the buzzer chiming "Wrong answer !". You can pick up a fairly decent used truck for 12 grand. The Mod may be worth 12 grand with engine... tops.. in my eyes

~ Gimp ~

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 10:34:55 pm »
 Did some research using sprint car chassis builders for a guide. A bare J&J chassis is about $2800. Add up the body, tortions, axles master cylinder ect.. you are at around 5 grand. Add tires and so forth, you are nowhere near the 11 or 12 thousand dollar amount that the Dirt Mod is at for price of a roller. And that is compared to sprint car manufacturers.  SOMEBODY is making some MAJOR profit at the expense of  anyone wanting to move to this division.
My 2 cents tells me... RIP OFF.. plus it  is not established at any of our local tracks as a class to race in. If you were to jump on that ship, you'd drowned.. lol

(apology for the caps lock)

~ Gimpster ~

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 12:21:40 am »
Heck Gimp, you can buy a create late model motor for less that what we are spending on these engines. If they could get the cost of that down then they might have something. That is a big investment in are legends cars that needs to be looked at. All the rest seems pretty reasonable except for rear gears.
I hope to run a couple more times before end of the year but just need to get home.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 04:13:06 pm »
 Yeah, back in the days of  hanging out at our dealer and helping him out, trying to push these cars onto existing drivers of other divisions was like swimming through tar. Strike 2 was when they sealed the 1250. LOL this is dirt racing man.. A dirt racer is a professional at all levels of racing from chassis set-up, driving to engine rebuild. Most dirt racers will stick their dollar into their race car before using it for food on the table. Once again I will question the value of this chassis package down to the point of (yes) financing. LOL, go to your bank and tell them you want a loan for one of these and first question to back up the loan is... insurance ?? Now you have to try to get it insured to get the loan. Most insurance companies will laugh you out the the door but there is some out there that offer it. Now... realistically... If you did gather up a loan and secure insurance, you haven't raced yet and look how much you are paying for the Mod. Next you go to the race track with it and not enough of the cars show up for the division so the track eather cuts the pay for winning down to nothing or drops the division all together. You are stuck with an expensive lawn mower without a deck.....
 Remember starting in the competition realm ?? Get a car handed to you for nothing then eather strip it down and derby it or have a buddy weld a cage into it in their garage for free after you found some pipe laying around. Building the engine if you blew it up was second nature and you knew you could make it more powerfull and reliable by time you were done. As you got better you moved up in the ranks on dirt from like  Hobby division to Street division by adding better tires and wheels. Other racers who shared your joy found ways to make it cheaper for you, like the crate engine you mention at a decent price....
 Along comes Legends Cars that takes all the learning away other than set-up and driving skills. Better yet, now a way overpriced chassis introduced that we are supposed to make fly at our local race tracks. They sure are not looking at boosting car counts at dirt tracks introducing an overpriced chassis and by No means are they helping the race tracks gain driver counts for thee same reason. I question why they introduced the chassis at all !
 If they want to get this new chassis up and going as a division at our local dirt tracks, they need to step down and set-up a low introduction price to get drivers out there competing in them on a local level to sell more product. If they had half a brain they would offer the chassis cheap and raise the price of parts to make up for profit loss on initial sale of the chassis. They aren't going to sell any parts if there is no cars out there competing !! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot at the administrative level of the company... Especially in the economic times us dirt racers are living.  I've been told it is southern mentality in the sport but am not going to point finger at more than I already have.... I do know that if I was the Chief Commacho at USLC, things would be different and they may actually see some higher yearly dollar income numbers, from changes I would make...

... But hey, I'm just a Gimp...

FFmedic

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 09:13:22 pm »
My 2 cents on the car is this..... it is very sweet to sit in and I havn't even drove it yet.   The things that I like are the following..........     Quick change rear ends, only 2 brakes on the thing (rear axle and left front)  Every heim end is bigger and beefyer, the front axle looks like you could replace it in about 10mins,  all the shock mounts look heaveir, the motor is liquid cooled and the cooler is about 1ft back from the front of the car, they only twist 9500 rpms,  The steering arm is adjustable, the top half of the body is the only fiberglass and its sold in pieces rather then halfs,  you can run spacers on them like a sprint car,  The whole chassis looks like its built better then a legend car.

Down side is that you need 3 different spares for the thing and you need the big sprint car wheel nut wrench for the rear wheels.

Yeah I do think $17k is a bit much, but I would be willing to sell my legend for one if they get going here in ND.  The thing just looks safer and alot better to work on.  Being a water cooled motor and having the rpms turned down will save the motor and make it last longer.

looking forward on driving one at the Dirt Natls in October.

Joe

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 09:30:20 pm »
They better sell a bunch of them, USLCi has thrown a ton of money into advertising.
Its all over racingjunk.com
Even has it's own website:
http://www.legendsmodified.com/
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 10:32:03 pm »
 Win a free test drive... LOL
OK, I'll shut up about them. Haha, light a dumpster fire somewhere else.

~ G ~

knoxracing

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 11:07:45 am »
They spent alot of money designing this car before they built it. If you have seen the thing up close and looked it over it is a very well designed car, it really is a car that can be raced competitively out of the box. how many times have you heard Legends are race ready for $5000.00, then you find out it takes a $15,000.00 investment to run upfront on a NATIONAL level on asphalt.

Offline bback58

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 11:34:52 am »
The Gospel according to Gimp.  
Brian B

anything