Author Topic: US Legends Dirt Modified  (Read 18943 times)

Hoopy_boy

Re: US Legends Dirt Modified
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 12:04:50 pm »
lol.. I'm just a hoopy boy.  Enjoy the Mod !

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 01:37:29 pm »
They seem kind of like a thunder roadster on dirt.  The thunder cars are popular at some tracks and some parts of the country, while up here in the northeast i haven't seen any around.  The dirt cars are probably going to be the same way; popular in some places and not so popular in others

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 02:22:06 pm »
 Since most of you are not members of Legends Drivers Family and Friends over on facebook, I will repeat what I mentioned on there in responce to Tim Brockhouse's comment. Tim mentioned that our dealer (Ivan from ND) and himself ran their Mods at the Grand Forks Legends race recently. He said "Throw it in and stand on it". I replied that this chassis is a different discepline than a Legends Car, for those looking to test drive them. The Legends car is designed with a push from the factory on asphalt. The Mod is a dirt chassis from the get go that turns. Most Legends drivers on dirt are used to Driving the chassis into the corner. They will have to get used to throwing the chassis into the corner with the Mod. 2 totally different chassis. Lemme see, this morning I had 17 emails for Legends Car dirt set-up advice, normal is 5 or 6. Probably because the Nationals are just around the corner. Out of all people who have gotten set-up advice from me, nobody has been able to drive the set-up at 42 percent cross... they say it is loose. I try to explain that you cannot DRIVE a Legend in at 42 percent without spinning. It only works if you throw it in. The chassis reacts way different coming off the corner at that low of cross and that style of driving. Allows you to get off the corner faster, but if you miss the pocket you will burn off the right rear. Hence throwing the chassis into the corner and figuring your set up off from there. most times I end up setting guys up way different in their chassis than my style of driving because the spring package I offer will only work in this manor and not if you DRIVE it in. Set-ups vary.
 The Mod gets my disaproval because I have run Sprints before and I do not like the narrow right rear tire (and the price of the chassis lol). the set-ups for the Mod are way different than a Sprint with a larger right rear tire and a wing. the wing gives you down force and the wider right rear takes more heat. The Mod not having the downforce of the wing and bigger right rear will heat up the tires quicker and demand a way different set-up. Actually they are SLOW as what the chassis is capable of. So if I come across as bashing the chassis, I apologize. When the word got around that USLC was building a dirt chassis, I was excited. When the chassis was released, I was disappointed knowing they could have done BETTER  in key area design.
 THERE you go Bian... more  gospel by Gimpster (lol).... I have been there and am not looking in the toy store window like a kid with wide eyes and big dreams...

Yes, I have set-ups for the mod too.... I'm not a god but am a racer not afraid to share info (A hoopy boy LOL)

~ Gimp ~

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 05:34:16 pm »
If they can sell it, they can sell it.
It's not my cup of tea, but I'm just one man.
Hopefully it works for them
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 06:04:34 pm »
 Yeah, I just dropped a set of gears off at Ivan's and took a good look at the Mod. It's based around an upright chassis for sure. Chassis tubing is not moly. No adjustable shock mounts but it does have an adjustable panhard, 3 position. It does have the sprint car style gas pedal (allows you to slam the carb butterflies shut quickly by providing a toe lift on the assembly) but it only has a single throttle cable for pulling the butterflies open. Kinda shoots the principal of having that style loud lever in it, in the foot, without  the second throttle cable providing the ability to close the throttle quickly to manipulate the rear tire drift during side by side competition. I guess they are OK, but like stated in an origional post.. overpriced for what is there. I expected it to be lighter. The Winters quick change looks sweet under the rear as does the Shroeder half steering box. Body is not one piece, has a nose panel, hood, upper roof, lower body and deck lid. That is a plus in case you do get into any mishaps, you don't have to replace  the entire body like I was informed was one piece. Some day when I am up to it, I would like to shake one down on the track, see how they stack up to a wingless Mini or a Midget... haha, this was the first day in 2 weeks I have been able to get out of the house.

~ Gimp ~

anything