Author Topic: Ignition problems  (Read 28695 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: Ignition problems
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 11:58:16 am »
Just an update on what i've found, the grounds seemed to be all tight, but where the plug wire connects to the spark plug boot the boot can turn.  2 of the wires are like this and the other 2 aren't.  I was able to pull the boot off on cylinder 2 and the wires are all exposed and not doesn't look right.  On cylinder 3 the plug boot also spins, but when i pulled that boot off they had more of a "screw" look inside.  That might have just been enough to cause a problem.

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 12:39:38 pm »
 Thanks for the update... Yes, where the plug caps connect to the spark plug wires if you look inside the opening, there should be a wood screw looking metal center stud. New caps screw onto the spark plug wires. Sounds definately like you had a resistance issue... LOL

~ Gimp ~

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 06:26:40 pm »
Thanks for the update... Yes, where the plug caps connect to the spark plug wires if you look inside the opening, there should be a wood screw looking metal center stud. New caps screw onto the spark plug wires. Sounds definately like you had a resistance issue... LOL

~ Gimp ~
Yup i figured when the book came right off the wire and looking at the wire, theres no way it looks to have anything screw in to it the only way i got the plug boot back connected with the wire is by pushing it on, and even then its still loose feeling while all the others are tight and can't turn

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 08:24:05 pm »
... and even then its still loose feeling while all the others are tight and can't turn

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Sound like you need a new one; http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Ignition%3ASPB

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 08:31:36 pm »

~ Gimp ~
Yup i figured when the book came right off the wire and looking at the wire, theres no way it looks to have anything screw in to it the only way i got the plug boot back connected with the wire is by pushing it on, and even then its still loose feeling while all the others are tight and can't turn

Dan
www.winterracing.net
If you have any slack, cut 1/4 to 3/8 inch off the end of the spark plug wire with a wire cutter

~ G ~

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 11:06:14 pm »
I'll have to try that then the spark plug boot seemed fine just the wires were loose and could be pulled, not screwed out easily.

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 11:33:32 am »
I'll have to try that then the spark plug boot seemed fine just the wires were loose and could be pulled, not screwed out easily.

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Oh sorry, I mis-read what you had posted; Like Greg said cut off the wires tip and re-install by screwing it back on.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Chunk

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 10:43:35 pm »
Just an update to my problem. I finally got to start tearing things apart today, looking mostly for bad grounds or melted wires. The one thing that I found was there is a butt connector connecting the oil sensor wire to another wire that goes to the main harness. The wire on the harness side of the butt connector seemed to have been loose or completely disconnected altogether. There is a posibility that that wire was contacting the oil pan. However, I couldnt find any power on the harness side of the connector, just the sensor side. I dont believe there is any way that the sensor side of the connector could have been grounding out. Especially because the only time that wire is hot is if the sensor triggers for low oil, correct me if im wrong. I am going to try it without the oil sensor hooked up. If it still has a miss, I am going to un hook the neutral light as well as a few other things. The main grounds seemed to look good and intact to me. One thought I had is that I possibly have a bad master power switch. As of now, I use it to break the ground. I may try to bypass the switch alltogether. I am really hoping that it isnt the stator/triggers on the back of the crank case!

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 03:32:57 am »
 No, don't worry about that oil sender wire in relevance to this issue. Possible that the pulser (pickup coil) on the rear of the engine is bad, if you need the ohm spec on that item, let me know. Honestly I still question the fuel pump or it's ground. Bypassing that toggle switch for test is a good idea. Might want to disconnect the main harness connector at the firewall, clean it, wipe some dielectric grease across the contact face of the connector and reconnect it. I'm anticipating issue resolution on this one...

~ Gimpster ~

Offline Chunk

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 11:15:15 am »
Thanks for the info Gimpster. I will go over the fuel pump connections tomorrow. The thing that is odd to me is that after changing the ign boxes, I had the same miss but it happened at a higher rpm. Im not sure if that just has something to do with the settings in the box itself? The one on the car is all but brand new and the spare is pretty old.

Offline Okiesnake

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 03:59:01 pm »
It may not be the cause of your problem BUT, I had simular problems a while back with simular symptoms....
Sometimes the car would seem to get intermittently fuel starved latter in the races.  Then it would start running OK again.  I tried replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump but the problem kept coming back.
 I went to the fuel pump and noticed it was only kicking in intermittently.
A friend of mine (with allot more Legends experience than me) noticed that my car had an emergency fuel shutoff switch.  He said that they often caused problems and most people bypassed them along time ago.  If you car has an emergency fuel cutoff switch, it will be under the dash.   
We bypassed the safety switch and life was good again!

Offline Chunk

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 04:17:22 pm »
I have seen that problem as well. I wired my car myself and made sure not to include that switch. I've heard it has caused a lot of red boxes to go bad.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 10:55:26 am »
check your blue plate. The actual pickups on it... Here is what happens: when you install the blue plate, most people just throw it on, adjust the timing, and tighten the screws. This will work for a while, but most likely you will have problems down the road. The reason is that there is that you need to set the clearences between the rotor on the crankshaft, and the actual pickups (the black pieces on the blue plate) When you install the blue plate, take 2 matchbooks, and fit the thickness of the matchbook cover in between each pickup and the rotor. (a 13-14 thousandths feeler guage works too, but I have found that a matchbook is easier.

To check if this is the problem, remove the pickup plate and look at the inside surface of the pickups. if there is any worn, or flat spots, they are likely the problem. What happens is with to little clearance, over time, all the dirt, rubber, etc, that gets thrown up, rubs away at the pickups. This could take a month, or it could take 3 years, but it will happen if there is not enough clearance, and it will drive you CRAZY trying to find the problem. I have found the problem also gets worse as the engine warms up, not sure why, but it seems to me it does.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Chunk

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 03:53:54 pm »
Update: I have tried yet another red box, jumping the ign switch and main switch, plug wires, carbs, plugs, and checked compression and back lash to make sure I didn't drop a valve seat. Still no fix. The only thing I haven't changed is the coils and blue plate. I took the stator cover off and checked the gaps. They looked fine and no visible damage. I think my next move is to just try a different blue plate! Thanks for the help!

knoxracing

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 04:19:56 pm »
On the blue plate where the wires pass through the gromet, I have seen several short out there. Does the car spit and sputter in the shop or just on the track after a while?

anything