Author Topic: Fire Extinguisher/Fire Suppression System...  (Read 25676 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Fire Extinguisher/Fire Suppression System...
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 02:32:56 am »
 Was just trying to show possible places to mount the fire bottle. The ones I have posted are from Dwarf and Legends Cars. I do agree the best mounting point seem to be the trunk area. Also think there might be some small gain in weight distribution.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

gbmetcalf

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 09:50:05 am »
One thing to remember....For Halon to work it takes the oxygen away from the fire.

This also means it does the same thing to the driver!

Just a little knowledge I retained from years gone by.  A mind is a terrible thing to waste. So is a good race car!

Brian

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 08:13:43 pm »
Halon does make it a challenge to breath, but then again, it's a fairly open cockpit and if you mount a discharge nozzle under the dash, it's distributed at your feet more than your face.  Besides, fire eats the oxygen as well, so either will make breathing hard.

I don't know if Halon is heavier or light than air, and that might play a factor in breathing.  Of course if you flip the car then discharge the system, and the stuff is heavier, you now have a face full of it.  I do know that there are alternatives to halon, but they all have some kind of danger listed.

My system has three nozzles.  One under the dash, one on the firewall (top, middle), and one in the rear.  Top of the rear, middle of the rear firewall.  Bottle between the battery and fuel cell.  What I don't know is what it contains, so I guess I'll have to remove it and see.  Besides, the gauge is mounted facing down.  No way to see the charge state unless I crawl under the car, and I'm a pretty chubby feller, so would have to jack that car up a few feet to get under it.  Also the label is nowhere I can get to. 

Seems like a good setup all in all though.  I know that some would rather use a hand held extinguisher than a fire system for weight as well as control, but I think I'll take the weight hit.  What the heck, it's already installed and functional.  I've got enough work to do this winter.

Mike.
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 08:51:21 pm »
Hey Mike,

I wouldn't mind taking a look at your Halon system when you bring the car over to work on the scales.  I have one to install in my car as I only have a regular extinguisher that is mounted on the drive shaft tunnel right next to my arm.  When I got in a wreck last year my elbow went smashing off it.  I agree with those who say to get that stuff out of the driver area.  The nozzel placement would be great to see.  If the system I have only has 2 nozzles now does anyone know if you can add a 3rd and how?

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 12:14:38 am »
Yep.  Easy to install a third nozzle.  Just need a compression fitting "T" for 1/4" (I think) brass or copper tubing.  Could use brass, copper, or Aluminum tubing.  We'll get that setup, no problem.

Mike

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 03:10:26 am »
Post up some pics when you mount your system.
Would like to see what you decide.

Thanks,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 10:38:10 am »
I think most of the systems have a maximum number of nozzles, depending on size.  Too many nozzles might empty the bottle too fast to knock the fire down.  With only two nozzles, I would put them both in the driver compartment. 

John

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 11:05:30 am »
So you wouldn't put on on the firewall pointed at the engine and the other in the rear pointed on the fuel cell?

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 11:43:10 am »
What I have always read is that they should be in the driver's compartment first.  If the car catches fire, the first priority should be knocking down any flames around the driver until you can get out or the track crew makes it to the car.  With a 10 lb. system, you will have more than two nozzles and can afford to run them to the engine compartment and fuel cell area, but with a 5 lb. bottle you will probably only have enough capacity for the drive compartment.  I'd have at least two nozzles with the driver.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2007, 12:20:43 pm »
Isn't Halon in the process of being phased out due to EPA concerns, kind of like r12 was for r134a?

http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/snap/fire/qa.html#qA2
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Legend77

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 08:03:00 pm »
As a firefighter I would not recommend the halon system. Halon like posted in previous posts eats the oxygen up. This generally works best in an enclosed area. In the cockpit that would not work very well. I would recommend the newer foam systems. That will do a better job at putting the fire out and protect the driver better.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2007, 09:27:15 pm »
I am really learning a lot in this thread.  Thanks guys.

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 11:01:23 pm »
As a firefighter I would not recommend the halon system. Halon like posted in previous posts eats the oxygen up. This generally works best in an enclosed area. In the cockpit that would not work very well. I would recommend the newer foam systems. That will do a better job at putting the fire out and protect the driver better.

I'll likely leave the bottle I've got in mine as is for now, but I'm sure one day I'll have to change the system due to environmental regulations.  I notice that a few of the replacements for Halon are only minimally friendlier to the environment, so I'm not in a hurry to replace it right now.  Once I've got all the rest of my expenses covered, and a new engine fund well under way, I'll start looking seriously.

How messy is the cleanup after the foam system unloads?

Out of curiosity Legend77, how many times have you fought a fire with Halon in the mix? 

Thanks,
Mike

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 11:07:44 pm »
To be honest, I'm not too concerned about fire eating oxygen in the cab since it's a really open design.  Fire also eats oxygen at an impressive rate, so I'm going to hope on getting the heck out of there as fast as possible.  Any fire system will be welcome if I need one, but I certainly see Legend77's point.

RB...
If you've already purchased the Halon bottle, you can take a look at mine when we bring it over to see if that suits your setup.  If you haven't purchased it yet...  Maybe an alternative like Legend77 was saying?

I should ask Eric what he thinks too.  As a firefighter, he may some ideas as alternatives as well.  Going to have to get him to sign up on this site...

Oh Eric...!

(He's my baby brother.  If he joins up, you'll have to rib him!)
Mike ;D

Offline Legendracer24

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007, 07:33:01 pm »
anyone know where i can find replacement nozzles and fittings? i was removing the old tubing and i plan to re route the fire system to a new location, i need to find replacement fittings, cant find them anywhere!
the age old saying: Speed Costs--How fast do you want to go>? Thank god this isn't true for legends because i have no money!

anything