Author Topic: Bolt pattern on rims  (Read 13336 times)

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
Bolt pattern on rims
« on: October 13, 2007, 03:12:27 am »
What is the bolt pattern on a legends rim?  4" on 4.25", 4" on 4" or what?
Also, what is the spec. back set on the rims?
  Im looking into some light weight rims for the auto cross project, but don't have a car here to measure. =o.O=

I know that they are 13x7" rims with a 205/60R13 tire * thats a 22.7x8.1" tire for those of us who still like to use inches :) *

Here is a link to some slicks for our legends if you wish to run them on the AutoX track: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hoosier&tireModel=R6&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=06ZR3R6&fromCompare1=yes&place=1

With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Bolt pattern on rims
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 05:08:19 am »
Hi Shaun,
 Bolt pattern is 4x4.50
 Spec tire is "Legends Series" BF Goodrich Comp T/A  HR4 205/60R 13
 There is also a 36# minimum weight rule for tire and wheel.
 Offset is spec at 3 to 3.25"
 Not that the rules will apply to our application. I don't think SCCA dictates wheel and tire selection. Mine are (2)13x7, 3.50" offset; and (4) 13x8, 4" offset. Dwarf Car rules permit DOT tires (not true at all tracks, some have spec tire rules also). I'm also using steel wheels for my own personal safety reasons.
 I like your tire selection. I was looking at those too. I am holding off on tires until I get the car closer to being on the ground. Your engine will be larger than the Legends Car rules, so you may be able to run a wider tire for more stability. I haven't looked into that too much at this point in my build.
 Hope that helps you some!
 Good to see you back ! Haven't talked with you in awhile.

Take Care,

Steve

http://probld.600racing.com/documents/2007%20INEX%20Rulebook%20-%20Legends.pdf
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 08:21:37 pm »
I plan on extending the front suspension a few inches outward from stock.  This is so I can run a wider tire and a rim with some forward spacing.  This is inpart, to reduce the horrid scrub radius that some stock on a legends car.   If you want to have good , tight cornering, then the centerline of the wheel needs to be near inline with the ball joints or king pins on the knuckle. 
This is why near all big race cars on a road course have rims that look nearly flat.

However, until I get around to playing with the suspension, I want to toss a light set of rims on.  With any luck, a tire/rim weight of 18lbs +  is what I am aiming for.
Hell, our cars are only 2000 lbs soaking wet.  A mini cooper is more than that.  I think on a paved track, they will hold up.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 04:59:21 am »
 18 lbs. is pretty light. I think my mini-trike project, with aluminum rims, weighs in at around 20 something each. I haven't actually weighed one.
 I agree with your theory on scrub. As for cars total weight; if your at 2000 lbs., I think you are on the heavy side. I don't know  your engine weight. I would think that you should end up somewhere in the 1200 - 1300 lb. range (not counting drivers weight). Just guessing.
 Low and lean is the way to go. I'm still playing the weight game too. Will just have to wait and see.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 04:44:46 am »
 What do you think about running an aluminum body shock ? That would save sprung and unsprung weight.
I worry about reliabilty. I tend to go for overkill. More of a budget thing, as I am funding my efforts out of pocket. Anywhere that one can cut weight is a good thing.

Thoughts?

Steve

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 02:18:16 am »
Weight savings with shocks that are as small as ours is minimal.   If you cut down on rotational mass, you increase acceleration, reduce braking distances and improve suspension response.   :)

Somebody once told me the best way to shave weight off your car, is to go on a diet!

Aluminum shocks do dissipate heat better though!   

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 02:25:15 am »
 If I lost any weight I would blow away in the wind!  :D