Author Topic: front steering  (Read 10365 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
front steering
« on: July 25, 2011, 09:48:48 pm »
I've been having a problem with my steering, i go to set the toe and both side rods are about in all the way so i have little room to adjust.  The rods are 11 inch ones.  Also i have noticed that i can turn the wheel more to the left then i can to the right, i believe this might be part of the problem.  Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
Re: front steering
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:39:21 am »
I'm almost positive I always ran 1, 11 and 1 12 on my front end to correct that.

Edit: wait the rod ends are adjusted all the way in with 2, 11in bars? How wide do you currently have the front end of your car did you narrow it up?
Mark Williams
Owner
Racing Classifieds & Track Forums / Sticker Fool
Tel: 902-448-6903

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:36:50 am »
make sure the steering block ends are screwed in on both sides...... also make sure your steering arms are not bent ?
Vernon Houseman #20

igotmylegend

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:35:27 am »
If  we have the same steering box it should be 4" from out side the main box to center of bolt holes. What I have found is the plate that the box gets bolted to on the frame gets bent, ( i thinks its from the way we set up the front ends) you have to keep straiting the plate out or you can put the 4x4 1/8" under the mount.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:04:04 am »
What are you running for camber?
Plus what everyone else said...
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 11:27:41 am »
I'm running 5 1/2 on the right front and 2 1/2 on the left front i recently did narrow up both sides but then undid one side and it still hasn't helped me at all

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:54:49 am »
Steering rack centered before setting the toe ?? Measuring from the outside edge of the steering box housing to the center of  the bolt holes for the heim ends, on both sides before setting the toe ? Could be a half turn off on the steering wheel from center
Hope this helps ? Seems I been wrong a lot lately

~ Gimp ~

Plus 1
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:25:59 am »
Steering rack centered before setting the toe ?? Measuring from the outside edge of the steering box housing to the center of  the bolt holes for the heim ends, on both sides before setting the toe ? Could be a half turn off on the steering wheel from center
Hope this helps ? Seems I been wrong a lot lately

~ Gimp ~

I've never centered the steering rack, i've always just alligned the rf with the rr and then adjusted with the left side.  How would i center the rack?  It would seem to me if i did this then the right side tire would be way toed out and i wouldn't be able to adjust with this since i am out of room on the hiems.

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:08:33 am »
Not to be disrespectfull, but if your rack is not centered, you will not have steering the same when the steering wheel is turned left and right without hitting the end of the travel sooner on one side than the other, logical.  I see you mentioned having the front end narrow as you can get it.  I look at WoO sprints and think "If narrow front ends worked for ultimate set-up, why don't the pinacle division of dirt run narrow front ends ?".  The method you described for setting toe, I see you prefer the right front being your lead wheel. This preference varies per driver and set-up. Hope you figure your issue out, my friend

~ Gimp ~
Seems to be part of the problem, I can turn the wheel farther to the left then i can the right, however as far as the front width goes i'm not that far away from 60 inches, i believe last i checked it was around 59 3/4

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 12:09:14 am »
I tried centering the rack and it didn't solve my problem.  Do you think it would be a good idea to take a round out of both ball joints on the left and put a round into the right side?  That should make the left longer but still keep my width the same?

Dan
www.winterracing.net

igotmylegend

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 03:20:04 pm »
If the mounting plate is bent, the steering knuckles will hit the cross member. Or something might be bound up in the box its self.

knoxracing

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:33:32 pm »
DAn, are you running asphalt? Take the following measurements. This is on your lower A-Arm. From the grease fitting on the outer ball joint to the center of the heim that bolts the a-arm to the chassis. I need it on the right and left. You will be measuring the length of the a-arms, across the front of the car, from gearse fitting to the center of the bolt. Privately e-mail then to me and I will help you resolve your issue.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 06:49:06 pm »
Dennis I sent you an email with the measurements.  I am running asphalt.  Hopefully i am able to fix this problem.

Dan
www.winterracing.net