Author Topic: Brake Man Brakes  (Read 37374 times)

Offline Chunk

Brake Man Brakes
« on: June 08, 2011, 10:26:18 am »
Has anyone used the Brake Man stuff? I won a set of their calipers. The dealer is pushing me to get their whole setup, including the $225 set of front pads. The rear shoes are about the same! I can't bring myself to spend that much on a set of pads. Are they good enough to warrant spending that much on them? I'm thinking of going to Hawk's, any thoughts?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Brake Man Brakes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:24:07 pm »
I've never used them, only because I've never had a problem with the 30 year old calipers that are on my cars.
Also run dirt,so the worse the brakes are, the better  ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:51:10 pm »
The calipers retail for about $500.oo. I have run EVERY pad and shoe out there including brake man 1,2,3  Hawke, Carbotech, Cobalt, and a couple of others that were pricy. The calipers are nice, we now have our own caliper that is every bit as good and half the cost. Brakes are everything on asphalt. My suggestion to those that are not rolling in cash and want a pad shoe combo that is 90% as good as it gets is to put Carbotech shoes on the rear and  PBR black pads on the front. Total price is less than $175.00 and i promise you they will be as good as you fine. USLC dealers sell these and I promise as the ginny pig that has spent thousands on brake system its very good. There are other pads out there in the $175.00 range that are a tick better, but its just not worth it, they are not brakeman.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:02:20 pm »
There are many companies that offer good brake pads with the compound to do want you want to do. I sell Porterfield brakes pads that I tested for many years and offer the compounds that I found worked the best.

I also sell the caliper rebuild kits and replacement parts so that you can rebuild your own and save yourself money in the process.

Seem like a lot of money for calipers, pads & shoes...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:50:51 pm »
There are many companies that offer good brake pads with the compound to do want you want to do. I sell Porterfield brakes pads that I tested for many years and offer the compounds that I found worked the best.

I also sell the caliper rebuild kits and replacement parts so that you can rebuild your own and save yourself money in the process.

Seem like a lot of money for calipers, pads & shoes...

Randy - RPM
Speaking of rebuilding calipers, do you have any tips for getting that metal ring that holds the dust boot in?

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:41:23 pm »
Personally I do not run the dust boot or the snapring, but you should be able to just walk it into the groove provided; that is how I do it.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Chunk

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:56:33 pm »
Thanks guys. $225 just seems a bit high for a set of pads.

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 08:13:42 am »
Buy the PBR bads from your dealer, approx $85.00, they are as good as any.

Offline jjdoyle

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 11:38:29 pm »
Dennis, I tried carbotechs on the front of my car and experienced bad lock up when on the brakes. Wondering if you had similar issue. I hear carbotech is what most people run around here in NC. I am running bias on LF and 2 1/8 calipers, however when trying carbotech locks up both fronts. I have tried many pads but can only run the cheap beckanrely sold on the parts truck.

knoxracing

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 12:01:38 am »
This is typical of the carbotech gold pads in my opinion. USLC sells a black pad, PBR its will solve all of your issues. The carbotech is so agressive I cant run it. The PBR is cheaper and a better pad, try it you will like it.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 12:45:18 am »
Its getting about time for me to get new front pads, just put new brembo rotors on so those are all set, but whats a good general pad to run in everyones opinion that work well with the brembo rotor?

Dan
www.winterracing.net

knoxracing

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 02:01:21 pm »
PBR- sold by USLC, the price is right and they are great pads.

Offline Chunk

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 08:34:31 pm »
Dan, I ran BrakeMan calipers and pads , with the brembo rotors for the first time last weekend. The calipers are a very nice piece. However, the pads ($225) work too well. I drove into the corner like I am used to and locked the fronts up every time. I dialed more rear brake in to try and compensate as well as tried not to use so much pedal. It got better as the night progressed and I did set fast time, but I am still not a big fan. I am hoping they will harden up a little bit and not be quite so aggressive. I am planning on getting a set of the PBR's to try on my other car. I wouldnt mind trying a set of Carbo Tech's....

knoxracing

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:23:35 pm »
Carbo tech are alot like brake man 3 pads, very aggressive with alot of brake dust.  I totally agree the brake man calipers are a nice piece, but you dont need to spend that kind of money for a good caliper. I have had alot of problems with he 2.25" new calipers and would not recomend them.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 12:32:24 am »
Just me, or does nobody run in their brake pads anymore?
Maybe I missed that part.
The brake pads sound like they may be too aggressive.
Read some of the old threads on brake pads. May give you ideas.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.