Author Topic: Oil leak..  (Read 8491 times)

Offline DARK AGE 53

Oil leak..
« on: April 27, 2007, 07:22:18 am »
We took my sons car out to the race track  to break  it in ( new car ) last weekend,  when we got home I put it on the lift to clean it up. I found oil on the underbody, I found two problem areas. One was the brake reservoir cap was not tight enough and leaked some oil and the other is what I think is the hydraulic clutch reservoir. From what I understand the clutch reservoir does leak some, I  put a shop rag around it to catch any oil that might drip. Now all this being said I still wonder if there's a valve cover ( not sure if that's what there called on this engine ) gasket oil leak, I'm not sure if those plug looking things on top of the valve covers are how you tighten down the cover or not but I did check them and there all tight. One more thing, when looking into the oil level sight glass to check the oil level it's so dark you can't see in there, is that the oil?

Thanks,
Al

POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
Re: Oil leak..
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 06:01:47 pm »
Most everyone wraps at least part of a red shop rag around both the brake reservior and clutch reservior caps.  I hold them on with zip ties.  If you don't, it will sling and desolve the paint on your car wherever it lands.

The valve cover may leak some.  It should not be bad, but you may see a little leakage running down the fins toward the headers.

You should be changing your oil about every two races.  The black you see in the site glass is your oil.  There is a silver plate behind the glass to help you see contrast.

Once the oil coolers and filter are full, I generally put in a gallon of oil at every oil change unless I clean or replace the filter.  You will use 5 quarts when it is dry.  The red light you see on the dash should be your low oil light, and it may come on when you are racing and pulling G's through the turn.  I don't like that, so I run a little more oil than other folks may.  I'm about to start a discussion about oil here later tonight.  That, as well as everything I post is just my opinion.

Offline gramps05

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 06:29:02 pm »
Have seen numerous cars with the crankshaft seal behind the ignition plate leak under race conditions  and get on the underside of the car. The one we had problems with didn't leak at idle but leaked when hot an when racing.

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 07:23:48 pm »
Most everyone wraps at least part of a red shop rag around both the brake reservior and clutch reservior caps.  I hold them on with zip ties.  If you don't, it will sling and desolve the paint on your car wherever it lands.

The valve cover may leak some.  It should not be bad, but you may see a little leakage running down the fins toward the headers.

You should be changing your oil about every two races.  The black you see in the site glass is your oil.  There is a silver plate behind the glass to help you see contrast.

I'll wrap the brake reservior also, I'm using zip ties also. I thought it was oil I was seeing thru the sight glass but wasn't sure.  Thanks.

Have seen numerous cars with the crankshaft seal behind the ignition plate leak under race conditions  and get on the underside of the car. The one we had problems with didn't leak at idle but leaked when hot an when racing.

I felt around ignition plate and it felt dry, the guy that setup the car upgraded the ignition with the IGN P/U COIL ( Blue )..one thing I don't think is correct is he didn't re-install the Yamaha cover, do you think I should install the cover. Thanks

Al

POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 07:59:08 pm »
They leave that off alot.  I was told it helps keep the pick-ups from overheating.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 04:56:49 pm »
yup. leave the cover off. It helps with heat, and also make it easier to get to if you need to. You wil still have to take the access panel off of the firewall, but at least you won't have to mess with the cover too.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

anything