Author Topic: ride heights  (Read 20712 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: ride heights
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 10:18:53 pm »
Well after ALOT of work i got the ride heights in the right ball park area.  I have hardly any room left on the left front to turn down and also the shock has very little room to compress.  Thanks for everyones help i've learned alot these last days.  I also squared the rear end today and checked the wheel base.  I've still got alot of work to do with the wheel base.  Just making sure i do it right, to adjust wheel base you adjust the hiems on the lower control arm right?

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 10:33:13 pm »
Post some pictures. Something is not right
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 12:42:56 am »
I'm thinking that the snap ring is not in the lower position. I have to move mine on the right rear to get more height and it sounds like his are like that. You can remove the threaded spring adjuster and move it up or down. It pulls off and (it is hard to pull off) and you move the C-clamp.  Just something to check.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 09:19:42 am »
I already told him that, he says that is not the case..NEED PICTURES if you want help
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 10:10:38 am »
Heres one

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 10:11:41 am »
Heres the other, I have the ride heights now set at what i need but there isn't much left of the left front spring as you can see

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline rob

• J & R Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 11:28:59 am »
Might be a stupid question, are you running 8" or 10" springs?

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 01:16:07 pm »
10" springs

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 01:30:58 pm »
Sorry after looking more at it i should try to get
LF                     RF
3.75                4

LR                    RR
4 1/4               4 1/4
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Dan,

Those numbers are not obtainable unless the chassis is bent. If the LF is lower than the RF, the the RR has to be higher than the LR.

It is more important at this point that you pick the lowest point of the car, the LF and get a setting of 3.75". From there you will need to adjust the other corners until you come up with something in your ball park. Remember, since you are measuring behind the pivot point of the front wheel you can raise or lower that height by the rear spring(s) as well. So, your lack of travel might be because you are lowering the front but the rear is actually too high.

From the point you get your ride height numbers close and make sure you are not under minimum height, you need to adjust accordingly to obtain the corner and cross weights you are looking to acheive. Ride height is really just a minimum standard and a starting point to get the car scaled corectly; every car is different.

Also, make sure the left lower control is a left one.  The tubing the shock mounts to must go under the tubing the ball joint screws into. If it doesn't it is a right and that is your lack of travel issue.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 06:35:50 pm »
Thanks everyone for the help.  Me and my dad worked all day on the car and got it set up.  Its amazing to me how hard it is to get the wheelbase right.  One degree of caster could make the wheel base to long when taking one out makes it legal.  Its amazing.

Thank you again, tomorrow we plan to scale the car and see where its at.

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 12:06:50 am »
Dan,

Thanks for posting the pics!  Glad that dad jumped in to help! I hope that everything works out for you. Let us know how everything works out for you.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline diddyracing19

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 03:39:56 pm »
I had the same problem with my ride heights. Double check and make sure you have the C clip on the bottom groove which is about a 1/2 in from bottom. it lowers it about 2in

knoxracing

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:31 pm »
Where are you located?

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 10:43:12 pm »
Dennis i've been meaning to ask you a quesiton.  I square my rear end the way you had said with a bar across the front and then measure back.  Now my problem is what do you measure back to?  I've been just using the rim but i know thats not the most accurate way to do it. 

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

knoxracing

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 09:33:11 am »
What I generally do is use the rim, i use the wheel base gauge because the tab sticks out and gives you an attachment point. If you measure, then roll the car so the wheel turns 180 degrees and measure again it will help with identifying a bent wheel or axle. i set up alot of cars so i use Lasers, the method you are talking about is just as good. I keep a set of wheels with tires that i know are straight, this eliminates the wheel issue, but i still roll the 180 to check the axles, this is so that I can make sure my squaring numbers are good. This method is really simple and ANYONE can do it, its very accurate and takes little investment if any to do it. You can always call me and I will be happy to help.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

anything