Author Topic: Uncut tires on asphalt  (Read 12656 times)

Offline JGRacing

Uncut tires on asphalt
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:26:28 pm »
To finish off my old BFG's I was thinking about hitting a practice day at an asphalt track.  I do not want to invest in both dirt tires and cut Federals for pavement this year, so just concentrating on dirt racing for now.  Just want to go out and log some laps on pavement to get a feel for it, but not worried about setting any records.  Any advice on setup with uncut tires?  I was thinking about a normal pavement setup with maybe an extra degree of camber in the right front.  I know that the tread might chunk but not worried about savings the tires that are reading over 70 on the duro after grinding them.     

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Uncut tires on asphalt
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:12:36 pm »
70 on the duro???? Wow!!! Those are some well cycled tires!  :o
I don't think that you'll have as much trouble with them chunking  as you will with them just being hard. If the day is warm, then they should soften up as you get a few laps on them. Cold day... I'm thinking that you will do a lot of sliding around. Do some warm up laps and get a feel for things before you decide to jump on it!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:24:37 pm »
There are 2 problems First, the BFGs even dont have the bite that the Feds do and the will the BFGs WILL drive diff. than with a set of cut fed.  Second, if you are just logging laps with new or old BFGs will others with the cut FEds...you better get the heck out of the way..just be careful
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:47:34 pm »
I do think that the Feds look to be a good pavement tire. John is looking to log a few laps to see how pavement works. He's not saying be up front. I say go with your BFG's. If your looking at buying a set of AR's anyway... Why Not! Gets you a bit of pavement experience

Steve

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:06:51 pm »
I didn't think that the BFG's were legal on asphalt anymore?

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »
Hi Scott!
At this point, I don't think anyone is going to know what the rules are until they release them. Tires are a huge issue right now.
Some tracks might let him run practice nights, or just to build car count.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 12:30:51 am »
BFG's are no longer legal on Asphalt. Federals only for 2011
BFG's, Federals, or American Racers on dirt for 2011
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline thunder938

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:39:20 am »
still you can take the car out with the BFGs on prac. days if you want to try a like asphalt, but like i said watch out the guys on new cut Feds are going to be way faster..
Dave

knoxracing

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 10:00:04 am »
The key to the question is UNCUT.  You will have alot of fun, the car will be a handful thats for sure, LOL. Rock hard and uncut. hey its only a practice day, have fun a raise a little hell!

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 11:16:22 am »
The track does not even run legends cars, so I might be the only one out there.  Sort of the same deal as when I run practice nights at the dirt track near here.  They just work me in and let me run a few laps by myself throughout the practice.  I have put in laps on pavement before but just need to knock the cobwebs off .  I realize that setup wise it will not completely carry over to the Federal tires, so just want to get a decent baseline setup on it so I can log some laps. 

Back to the original question.  To compensate for full tread tires, should I just use a normal pavement setup with an extra degree or two of camber or is there anything else that I should adjust?   

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 09:25:13 pm »
I think that would be a good start. Of course you are going to have to adjust ride heigts, spring rates and cross weight for pavement.
I've got a couple of pavement set ups in my files that I would be happy to share with you. I promised that I would not post the set ups, but was given permission to share them outside the site. Email or message me with track size and configuration. I'll see if I can help get you in the ball park.

Steve

Offline diddyracing19

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 03:07:12 pm »
I can vouch about running a none cut tire, BFG on asphalt. LOL can be done with the same set up as you would with a federal about -4.5 degrees camber RF and +2.5 LF. I have been running them the past couple weeks. You def will not be as fast nor have the grip of the guys with federals! But go out and have fun and log some laps you'll be alright.

Offline Micke68

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 12:18:10 am »
What  setup are you guys using that makes the Federals faster then the  BFG's on ashpalt? At our home track the cars are all running .100 to .250 slower on the Federals then they ever ran on the BFG tires.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 09:40:10 am »
I found that the FEDs have so much more bite that I dropped the cross like 3 or 4 % with the FEDs.  If you just leave that BFG set up the car with be very VERY tight
Dave

Offline Micke68

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 12:08:53 pm »
We have done that with the Federals and still have found the car getting extremely tight as the race progressess. We are currently at a 46.5% cross. The car starts out ok but quickly gets to where it wants to push at entry and progressivly gets worse.