Author Topic: 6 point harness  (Read 15324 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
6 point harness
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:42:53 pm »
I just bought a 6 point harness and wanted to know how everyone has the bottom strap attached.  Theres a spot in my car to bolt in the one strap but not the 2.  I was thinking about drilling 2 holes in that bar to bolt the strap to it

Dan
www.winterracing.net 

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: 6 point harness
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:15:54 pm »
anyone have any ideas?

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:16:20 pm »
The six point harness in my mod had one common mounting point. Bolt one on top of the other and mount to the common mounting point.
Either that or get the "Y" type crotch strap.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:06:56 pm »
The six point harness in my mod had one common mounting point. Bolt one on top of the other and mount to the common mounting point.
Either that or get the "Y" type crotch strap.

Steve
Alright i guess i'll do that, i thought that might work but wasn't sure if that'd be more of a 5 point harness

Thanks for the help,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:19:40 pm »
What makes it 6 point is that you have double crotch straps. Your legs are not that far apart that they need to be mounted very far apart.
Mostly, it just keeps you from sliding down.

Steve

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:28:39 am »
What makes it 6 point is that you have double crotch straps. Your legs are not that far apart that they need to be mounted very far apart.
Mostly, it just keeps you from sliding down.

Steve

Alright, i wasn't sure if they could be bolted on top eachother.

Thank  you,
Dan
www.winterracing,net

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 11:28:16 am »
I have to respectfully disagree with Steve on this.  The two crouch straps on the 6 point keep the buckle from being able to move side to side, along with keeping the lap belt down so it stays in position.  They will still be together when they come up between your legs to the buckle, but under tension in a crash the mounting points will come into play.  You might need to have someone weld a couple of tabs on.  You can mount them to the same spot, but then you lose some of the safety benefit of having the 6 point.  Simpson or Impact probably have mounting instructions on their websites.  On my modified, I had the belts going under the bar at the front of the seat back to tabs welded to the frame about half way back under the seat base.  Cannot remember if I got the mounting instructions at the time from one of the manufacturers or from Circle Track.  The customer service line at the safety equipment companies I have contact in the past have always been helpful.  I am only using a 5 point at the moment, but this has me thinking about going back to a 6.         

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:36:27 am »
Here are some mounting instructions that might help.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/safety-restraints/

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:23:53 pm »
I have to respectfully disagree with Steve on this.  The two crouch straps on the 6 point keep the buckle from being able to move side to side, along with keeping the lap belt down so it stays in position.  They will still be together when they come up between your legs to the buckle, but under tension in a crash the mounting points will come into play.  You might need to have someone weld a couple of tabs on.  You can mount them to the same spot, but then you lose some of the safety benefit of having the 6 point.  Simpson or Impact probably have mounting instructions on their websites.  On my modified, I had the belts going under the bar at the front of the seat back to tabs welded to the frame about half way back under the seat base.  Cannot remember if I got the mounting instructions at the time from one of the manufacturers or from Circle Track.  The customer service line at the safety equipment companies I have contact in the past have always been helpful.  I am only using a 5 point at the moment, but this has me thinking about going back to a 6.         

Or do you think that i could drill two holes in the bar on the floor pan.  it would be the same bar that the 5 point bolts into

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 02:37:37 pm »
I had not put much thought into how I would do this if I put in a 6 point, but wonder if 2 tabs could be welded to the back of that bar4 to 6 inches apart.  It is not a far back or as wide as the instructions on the Simpson website, but not sure where else to put them without welding up an entire seat frame.  The floor pan is pretty thick, but not sure that I would trust bolting the crouch straps to it. 

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 06:11:27 pm »
I had not put much thought into how I would do this if I put in a 6 point, but wonder if 2 tabs could be welded to the back of that bar4 to 6 inches apart.  It is not a far back or as wide as the instructions on the Simpson website, but not sure where else to put them without welding up an entire seat frame.  The floor pan is pretty thick, but not sure that I would trust bolting the crouch straps to it. 

I actually meant bolting it to that bar, i would just drill 2 holes and be able to bolt them to it

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 06:50:16 pm »
I was sort of thinking out loud with bolting it to the floor.  Personally, I am not crazy about drilling holes through bars like that that are structural.  If it was me, and might be if I decide to go with the 6 point, welding tabs on the back of the bar will not weaken it like drilling would.  I would like to get some thoughts from other people on here about the best way to do this.  Sure that someone has a better solution that I can borrow.   ;)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 09:10:24 pm »
Point taken John.
I am with you on drilling through the bar. Not the best idea unless you drill it out larger and weld a through tube in the hole. That should keep the structual integrity of the bar. I'm going to have to start thinking about this pretty soon too.

Steve

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 09:25:26 pm »
hmm looks like i've got everyone thinking now  ::) lol its to bad you can't slide the belt under the bar, but there welded together.

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 12:08:19 pm »
Either drilling and welding tubes into the holes like Steve mentions or welding tabs to the bar might be the best options unless someone has a better way of doing this. 

anything