Author Topic: Tire Spin  (Read 23670 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Tire Spin
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:27:55 pm »
Hi,
I've been fighting a front brake problem.  The front tire only spins about 2 times with the tire on and the rotor only spins about 3/4 to once without the tire on.  I just wanted to know what everyone elses did. 

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Tire Spin
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:30:52 am »
Are you saying that your brakes are dragging a little?

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 06:36:00 am »
That's what he is saying.
He is having trouble with one brake dragging. I referred him to the threads on brakes dragging. Exchanged PMs with him about the problem.
I am thinking that the sliders are worn or caliper may be sticking a bit. The front wheels will never spin like they did on his go karts.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:04:46 am »
That's what he is saying.
He is having trouble with one brake dragging. I referred him to the threads on brakes dragging. Exchanged PMs with him about the problem.
I am thinking that the sliders are worn or caliper may be sticking a bit. The front wheels will never spin like they did on his go karts.

Steve

I've greased and cleaned the sliders.  I am going to put new calipers on, but just wanted to know how much others spin.  I also bled the breaks

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:52:28 am »
I have had the same problem before. I have one that free spins and the other doesn’t no matter how much I clean. I know that you want it to spin and go eat dinner and come back it is still spinning but the reality is that is not going to happen on these cars. I did have a friend that used springs to help pull the pads back. He drilled a little counter sunk hole and attached a spring. Problem was that the tech guy didn’t think it resembled anything that was delivered stock but it did work……LOL.

Scott

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:23:34 am »
I know that these are not going to spin for a long time, i however would think that the rotor should at least spin around one complete time.

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:16:33 pm »
I pm'ed as well on the other thread and gave direction on exactly what to do, but you told me you were told to do someting different...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 01:49:11 pm »
I've been told to do many different things and am just trying to get ideas.  I tried the sliders and that didn't seem to work, I am going to replace the calipers because i believe that is my problem.  I just wanted to know how many times everyones tire normally spins to get an idea what to look for as a fix

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline jjdoyle

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 07:46:24 pm »
It can only be a couple things:

-caliper piston sticking
-master cylinder rod not adjusted properly
-slides

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 08:13:57 pm »
One wheel spins 3 or four the other only once. I guess I could work on them myself now you got me thinking about it.

Scott

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 08:16:57 pm »
One wheel spins 3 or four the other only once. I guess I could work on them myself now you got me thinking about it.

Scott

Hmm does the left side spin more then the right?

Thanks,
Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:28:39 am »
Dan as matter of  fact it does. It would be great if it was the other way around if it has to do it at all. I'm going to pull and repack the wheel bearings also.  I'm building a new car so I will take a closer look in a few days.

Scott

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 09:40:13 am »
It can only be a couple things:

-caliper piston sticking
-master cylinder rod not adjusted properly
-slides
...or wheel bearings, warped brake rotor, bent steering arm off the spindle causing contact with the wheel (pesonal experience).
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 10:59:03 am »
Dan as matter of  fact it does. It would be great if it was the other way around if it has to do it at all. I'm going to pull and repack the wheel bearings also.  I'm building a new car so I will take a closer look in a few days.

Scott

It seems that most cars are like that.  I however think that my calipers are bad since i did a test and they don't seem to open back up. 

Dan
www.winterracing.net

knoxracing

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 03:48:57 pm »
What calipers are you using and what are you planning on buying?  I would have the rotors turned. Also make sure the rotor is in the center of the brake shoe bracket, I have seen tweeked brackets be the cause many times, either of the brackets being off will cause excessive pad drag. i suggest 2" calipers as a replacement, replace both.  The master usually causes both to drag not just one. Hope this helps.

anything