Author Topic: VALVE JOB  (Read 5945 times)

Offline 41zwrench902

VALVE JOB
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:51:17 pm »
I pulled the head off my engine today and found an exhaust valve seat was loose in the head on the last cylinder.I first noticed that valve was higher when I removed the exhaust cam.This is my First season in legends,and I am wondering if this is a common problem with these heads?Any recommendations on who to send the head to for a valve job?What is the cost of a valve job with new seats and springs,BALLPARK! Any answers or suggestions will be greatly appreciated..
Thank you,Wilbur

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: VALVE JOB
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 09:23:02 pm »
$450-$800 "ballpark". Depends on seals, seats, guides, what springs you want, cam gears, etc.
You can PM or call me  (262)352-1234
Jim
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:11:29 pm »
I pulled the head off my engine today and found an exhaust valve seat was loose in the head on the last cylinder.I first noticed that valve was higher when I removed the exhaust cam.This is my First season in legends,and I am wondering if this is a common problem with these heads?Any recommendations on who to send the head to for a valve job?What is the cost of a valve job with new seats and springs,BALLPARK! Any answers or suggestions will be greatly appreciated..
Thank you,Wilbur

Wilbur,

This is a semi-common problem with the head and is directly related to heat & age of the head. I see one or two a year and have fixed most of them. If the valve seat is loose and the valve is up, then a replacement seat must be made, a stock replacement seat will not work. The head must be machined to fit the new seat properly and they must be assembled carefully and correctly to prevent this from happening again. The port will then need to be matched to the seat to relieve the material that was forced into the port.

With that said, the concern will be to carefully inspect the seat next to it to determine if that seat need attention as well. I can guarantee that this head will also need exhaust guides, new springs and possibly some valves.

Who you select to send it to is be up to you to make that decision; you should contact as many people you can, get their advice and the specifics they will do for you, compare and make your decision from there. I see Jim is doing head work, Hank Scott in Charlotte, Bobby Pugh in Oklahoma, Gimp from??? and myself on the west coast; you have quite a few to choose from.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Randy - RPM
rpm@swaybar.com
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:56:22 pm »
Randy touched on a good point, if you can find someone close to you, the better off you are in the long run.
I think Gimpster is in North Dakota.
I'm in Wisconsin.
If youre anywhere on the left side, I'd use Randy without hesitation.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline 41zwrench902

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:50:05 pm »
Thanks Jim and Randy,I am in El Paso, Texas and I have talked to some of our local guys about head work,and they have had no luck with any machine shops in our area..Jim I will get with you on some parts pricing as well.We ordered a couple of starters from you a few months back,Got your decals on both cars and wear the VMS cap spreading the word..as soon as I figure out what all I need I will get with you to get it all..Thanks Again...Wilbur

anything