Author Topic: Oil coomming from vent  (Read 45251 times)

Gimpster

Re: Oil coomming from vent
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 11:54:53 am »
 Thanks for the good info Dennis.
Clearly stated 'the sleeve'. I took for granted that everyone knew about the issue USLC had with them.
I believe the oil blowing issue he is having is clearly USLC's baby to resolve from here

----- Gimpster -----

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 12:01:16 pm »
So instead of having a petcock in your overflow canister, you have a line from the bottom of your catch can going back to the vent.
I can see your points, makes sense.
 I guess my question is how do you know when you are getting excessive blow-by, as you are plumbing it so that all the oil goes back to the engine?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline 89tgreen

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 08:12:43 pm »
My 2 cents. I have the Hank Scott setup with a catch can returning the the back side of the oil pan. It's been working great but I have a few friends that it still didn't work for. What we have found out is the breather line out the top of the motor cannot go down hill at all. We had great results even with no can that way. We had big time problems with two motors and it fixed it 100% that way. For what its worth.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 10:36:55 pm »
I just run a hose to a breather filter on my cars, so I really can't say much, just trying to understand the ideas being tossed around with the ventilation/plumbing
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline 89tgreen

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 12:27:19 am »
Jim, I guess that's what I was trying to say. It's hard to imagine if your blowing oil that it's that simple to fix. But I think it is. I've seen some motors blowing pretty bad and just a hose straight up with a breather works great.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 07:22:40 am »
You can NOT just change to the Hank set up if the motor is not set up for that.  The oil pan port is low PSI around 27 and the line or filter side is around 70 psi.  These two can NOT be tied together unless you have and KNOW that the PSI on the low side of the pump has been shimmed to = the PSIs out.  IF you just run the lines and the low PSI side is not adjusted when tied together the bypass in the oil pump will be at the low PSI and BOTH lines tied into one will be at the lower PSI....BOOM

So, If you have a line to from the front port of the pan and the oil from that line returns to the pan rear port.  And the one at the filter comes from the motor and the returns to the motor at the stock filter location (two Sep. systems) I would not change it until the motor was get freashend and the builder told you it was OK
Dave

knoxracing

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 08:41:00 am »
Again you do not have to have the pump shimmed to run a Scott style oiling system!!!!! I have run them for years and installed them on ALOT of cars with great results! I run a Fluidyne cooler with fan, a 3 port oil filter adapter that takes a standard filter. It is plumbed exactly like a popular system. The components are available to make your own oiling system as follows. Cooler temperatures mean better HP.

Fluidyne cooller                   $219.00
8" Fan                                        $  70.00
3 port filter adapter            $100.00
Oil line / fittings                    $100.00 - $250.00 depending on the type line and fittings used.
Misc.                                          $  50.00
Labor                                         $     0.00

Offline thunder938

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 09:16:11 am »
Just talk to your motor guy, before you do anything regarding oil lines...as I did
Dave

Offline 89tgreen

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 10:33:08 am »
Question about who runs fans. In big cars if u run the fan the car gets hotter during the green flag run. The fan kind of makes a air dam at speed, when its running. I understand during cations it helps but I was thinking you maybe better off with more airflow during green flag without it.

knoxracing

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 11:03:35 am »
Well its a little hard to take it off under the green, just kidding. I do know of  a team that does not run a fan. i use mine as a puller, temps are lower with the fan. I would be interested in others input too.

Offline 89tgreen

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 11:32:48 am »
Do you run it under green laps? Or just cautions?it so hard to know because the temp of this motors get so dang hot.  And are u a dirt or asphalt? I'm sure u would need to run one on dirt. Between dirt packing in the cooler and slightly slower speeds. (in some cases).

knoxracing

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 12:48:13 pm »
I agree dirt would cause a whole new situation, we run asphalt and we do run the fan while under green. i have heard so many people talk about the draw of the fan and the possible hp loss from the alternator. i know one thing, these motors are exspensive and they run hot as you said, so we run the fan under green.

Offline 89tgreen

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 05:16:59 pm »
So let me throw this out there. How fast is the fan pulling air thur the cooler? 30 40 mph? I don't know but can't be more then that right. Well how fast are u going on the track? 50 to 80? I'm just throwing numbers out but good guess? Well if your fan is only going so fast won't it almost act like a air dam if you are going faster then the fan can pull thur. I kind of think it's better to not have it on the car so air can pass thur easier. I'm not a air tunnel guy but I do know big cars got hotter with the fan on and that's my guess why. I know it a bit off topic. Sorry.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »
I use a Setrab 920 on both my cars with no fans in the dirt.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline 89tgreen

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 05:55:08 pm »
Ok cool Jim. I'm glad I'm not crazy then. Everyone out in southern California run fans and it didn't make alot of sense to me. Thanks Jim.

anything