Author Topic: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires  (Read 144686 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires
« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2011, 10:27:09 pm »
Wow...USLC told me "sometime in March".
Guess there will be mid-season set up changes, since there is racing going on already.
Too bad those that are going to run them wont have the benefit of pre-season test and tune days on them.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2011, 11:26:18 pm »
Jim, I ran a few more pounds than 3 in the rr..I think that tire had a leak that night.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2011, 08:57:38 am »
Jim, I ran a few more pounds than 3 in the rr..I think that tire had a leak that night.

Yeah, right  ::)
Didn't mean to give away your secret, Champ  ;)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2011, 09:19:41 am »
I like this conversation, especially Jim's points (don't get a big head Jim)!
Being an Asphalt guy who wants to run a couple of dirt races this year I don't want to have to buy a full set of the new dirt tire, but would be willing to give up some speed if I could only have to buy 2 for the rear and use my old BFG's for the front!  I hope this could be an option at least for this year, especially for those of us who are just out to race for the fun of it (I don't expect to win any dirt races anytime soon)!

I know not many liked the bfg's but at least you could run them on both asphalt and dirt.  Now with seperate tires for both it will be a little more xpensive if I wanted to attempt to keep up with the field.

Gerad
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2011, 09:24:23 am »
According to Darrell (before his departure), you can run Federals on dirt this year if that helps ya, but everything has to be the same brand on the car
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2011, 11:49:29 am »
But really you had two different tires on asphalt and dirt even though they were the same. Asphalt tires were cut and dirt wasn't but you could run the cut tire but you weren't going to be very competitive. I know guys ran cut tires on dirt but never really seen them work that good. I have run both dirt and asphalt with these cars and I personal have a lot more fun on dirt but the most important thing is to have fun.

Jim I know that they were shooting for the end of the month but in my heart I really thought that it would be mid summer. We will see.

Scott

Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2011, 12:01:43 pm »
Looking forward to giving the new tires a try.  Wish I had a bigger tree in the backyard for all of the tire swings I could make out of the BFG's.  Guess I could make a tire barrier in case my 4 year old looses control of his battery powered truck. 

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2011, 12:43:44 pm »
If/when the new tires come in, and do prove to have the claimed advantage, I'll be making a tire run in the backyard as part of my sons football training obstacle course...at least I wont have to pay to dipose of them
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

FFmedic

« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2011, 02:01:46 pm »
Our dealer in ND is working on getting our old BFG's sold to a group of 4 cylinder guys at a track out east.  I guess they run the same size tire as us legend guys.  So even if they are sold for $10 or less at least I'd make money instead of loosing it.

Joe

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #174 on: March 11, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »
Straight from the the centralpalegends.com web site.

US Legends recently informed us that we should receive the new dirt tire by the end of April.  We’ll need to start the season using the BF Goodrich.  Once the new tires arrive the decision can be made as to when to allow the use of the new dirt tire.

I hope that they do come earlier

Scott

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2011, 03:30:45 pm »
Yes Scott I was woundering the same thing ? when did it become a choice ? or a rule ? of central pa legends ? I thought this year both americans and BFG could be run ???
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2011, 04:06:00 pm »
INEX rules are that in 2011 you can run BFG's, American Racers, or Federals on dirt.
Your club or track can change rules to be more strict, but not more lenient.

Example: Beaver Dam mandates door padding, though INEX only recommends it.

If the guys running your series say you have to run certain tires, they can make that choice, as long as it is one of the tires legal under INEX
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #177 on: March 11, 2011, 07:58:48 pm »
actually Jim a club or series can't change rules of USLC if they are running USLC sanctions and points. I have called and found this out. However a track or track owner can mandate more safety for example. Look at the rules that New Jersey has in place and that is mandated and run by the state police for some reason. Another example is the "no mirror" rule, this is mandated by the track in the name of safety. Bad example to make things safer but that is whole different topic.

Scott

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #178 on: March 11, 2011, 08:18:23 pm »
They don't want to allow the AR's as soon as the first 8 or 10 arrive.  That wouldn't be fair to the other 22 cars in the field.  I for one would want everyone to have a chance to purchase them if they choose to.  Now if Ed gets a huge batch right off the bat and everyone can get them, I'm sure we will all get to run them.   Even if I were the first to get them, I wouldn't want to run them until everyone can have them, even though I need all the help I can get, I would feel like I'm cheating. 

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #179 on: March 11, 2011, 08:22:11 pm »
Yea Rick, that is the same thing that they did when they got the Federal tires. It is the fair thing to do. I hear you though, and I too would take the advantage.   ;D

anything