Author Topic: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires  (Read 113058 times)

Offline LJ81

Re: Tire test at ELS for new dirt tires
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 02:17:29 pm »
Like I posted on Facebook, the video Legendsnation that was shot of the mod test that same day. I told them that track was as hard as a moon rock. Look at the vid..... tire pressures were WAY off for that surface. I can just imagine what they had in the Legend for pressure when it was taken out with the dirt tires on

----- Gimp -----

Saw the tires last night myself still on the car. Tire's had no fuzz on them at all. They did look great with about 60 laps on them. The tire was way to wide for the rims. So they will have to go with a narrower tire. Dave did say they were on 6/8 and 8/10 air. 
Lee Jordan
LJ Dezigns
Screen Printing, Embroidery, Decal Graphics, & Logo Design
803-329-8337
Check out the LJ Dezigns web for monthly specials!
www.ljdezigns.net

igotmylegend

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 06:51:47 pm »

[/quote]

Dave did say they were on 6/8 and 8/10 air. 
[/quote]
I got a stupid question what does that mean?
one more question what size tire are they trying to run.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 08:09:18 pm »
Left and right side tire pressures.
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Gimpster

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 11:30:50 pm »
Like I posted on Facebook, the video Legendsnation that was shot of the mod test that same day. I told them that track was as hard as a moon rock. Look at the vid..... tire pressures were WAY off for that surface. I can just imagine what they had in the Legend for pressure when it was taken out with the dirt tires on

----- Gimp -----

Saw the tires last night myself still on the car. Tire's had no fuzz on them at all. They did look great with about 60 laps on them. The tire was way to wide for the rims. So they will have to go with a narrower tire. Dave did say they were on 6/8 and 8/10 air. 

thanks.... that is what I thought. been around htem long enough to tell.  Wait until you guys run a tire like this and see what you can do with it !!

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 05:50:21 pm »
Friend told me that they (USLC) is working on getting the right compound and width tire but it is pretty much a done deal. We are getting a REAL dirt  tire. He also told me several days ago the Mike Patrick at Little Race Cars has sold out to a  Chris Lamond ( I think that was his name). That is all the word that I have but it sound like good news coming out of USLC to me but sorry to see Mike go.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Gimpster

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 06:05:02 pm »
 Yes... Mike announced it on Yahoo Groups Legendscars the other day

----- Gimp -----

FFmedic

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 08:41:53 pm »
I cannot wait to get these dirt tires!!  Its all I want for christmas!

I too am sorry to see Mike leave.

Joe

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 01:37:51 am »
Not to be the p1ss on everyones leg, but the class was designed to have a tire that can't handle the power, evening the field.
Now that it will hook up more, is anyone else concerned the sealed 1349's and cheater 1200'ss (not that either of those exist) will have even more of an advantage?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline TG01

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 08:28:37 am »
Agree'd my friend. 
I would love expand on my thoughts but it will just sound angry.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 08:41:47 am »
Well, What I was told is that they are looking for a harder compound. They are not looking for a soft tire at all. If you drink the cool-aid they want a tire that last and is safe. I for one do think that they want the best for the series, if they didn't they wouldn't have any cars in the end. I do wish they would do a better job of doing tech. I know that where I run there hasn't been any tech for the last four years. NONE. That is why in my opinion that there was a bunch of cars that didn't show up for the Nationals that were from the area. I was told that this year we are going to have tech and that should do nothing but make the racing better. With all that said I'm going down to Concord this weekend and if I hear anything about tires I will let you all know. You bet I will be asking questions about tires. Going to get a new chassis and can't wait to get it. Just a little early Christmas for me.

Scott

Offline TG01

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 02:10:23 pm »
Tech is a great thing when correctly aplied. I am all for it but what has happened to me in the past (different class) is they would just tech stupid things and miss the real big things. This left myself and some of my friends very angry especially when they allowed incredibly light cars into the street stock mix. All this political stuff along with the obvious family demands left me sitting in the stands. I will tell you though, getting a rubber glove inspection every week when I was in the top 5 left me a little happier to quit for the family.
As I came back, into the Legend class I felt the field was much more leveled and the tech although still there was better (at our track) as well as more straight forward. I found that there were more feature winners all season long and I felt like I may have a chance to be both legal and win.
This class is a neat class and I hope I can run in it for a long time. I just hope you are correct and that they get a race tire equivelent to the BFGs. That would be cool and plus race tires look great under any car.

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 07:30:21 am »
I know that where I run there hasn't been any tech for the last four years. NONE. That is why in my opinion that there was a bunch of cars that didn't show up for the Nationals that were from the area.

Let me start off by saying I am a big fan of tech and hope in the future we have tech at least so often that everyone must assume it will happen.  I know you might not have been referring to our group, but if so, I think you are making a pretty big exaggeration.  I've only run with Central PA Legends for 2 and a half years, but for quite a while they were teching the top 3 after the race and a few times they did tech on us all, but only for one item each time I think.  By no means do I think this is adequate, but there was a weak attempt.

About the lack of participation at the Nationals.  I'm not sure how a lack of tech in our series would affect our car count at the Nationals.  Please explain.  For me it was the distance, and the fact that last year at ELS wasn't a great enough experience for me to spend that much to go to Springfield.  Not complaining, I'm sure in past years folks from that area didn't come east for the same reasons.

Rick

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 08:58:57 am »
Rick,

I was referring to PA. I have been running up there for four or five years but only 4-5 times a year. I have never had any tech and never seen any real tech. I have seen them run cars over the scales with driver but I don't really think that is tech. Rick this is not a attack on central PA because I have run several places with no real tech. I have seen with my own eyes guys doing illegal things in the pits but I do think sometimes it is done with out knowledge of the rule book. I was told this year by one guy that he soaks his tires and he truly didn't think that it was illegal as long as he keeps the duration # below the rule book. I did run a national qualifier before the nationals in PA and there was zero tech. As far as low car count at the nationals, I was referring to the number of cars from PA that didn't show at the nationals that was run in PA. Maybe it was a scheduling conflict with some of them???? It was the first year that they implemented 165lbs of compression for open motors so maybe that was the factor but that rule was implemented all year. You are right though, tech doesn't have to be a complete tear down each week but if you don't what is coming it sure makes you want to keep your car right. Hope to run with you guys more this year but this job thing keeps getting in the way of my racing.. See you in Jan. at the meeting though.

Scott

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 09:41:17 am »
I have to agree with the stupid tire rule.  I believe (without looking) it says you can't do anything to the tire, but then it says the hardness has to be over 58.  That doesn't make sense since the tires (as I've gotten them) have all been over 70.  It's almost like they are saying "don't do this, but if you do, don't go past this softness".  I will be honest, I tried it, and it didn't seem to help me.  2 months after I stopped, I won my first feature at Path Valley, and the softest tire on the car was a 70.  To revisit the Nationals thing-  I was nervous about going to the Nationals at ELS because I had never had a real good tech and for all I knew, I was overlooking something obvious that they would catch.  In fact, I had to add that one bar to the frame that had been required for years.  But that was a really old frame I used that year.  Also, I really laugh every time they run us over the scales.  With as big as I am and the fact that the car is well over it's minimum, I am way over my minimum.  In fact, I've never heard of anyone being light.  With stock cars, we had guys light all the time.

I do really hope this year we not only have a solid tech program, but also, some solid leadership from our group at the track.  I think we will, and I think it will be a great year, but we will know for sure once it gets going.  In any case, I can't wait.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 11:52:07 am »
"Also, I really laugh every time they run us over the scales.  With as big as I am and the fact that the car is well over it's minimum, I am way over my minimum.  In fact, I've never heard of anyone being light.  With stock cars, we had guys light all the time."

I was "light" at Nationals after my heat race. Then I told them they were crazy and they had me go over the scales again.
I dont care what you do, 210lb driver + 44 pounds of lead will make ANY Legend car over weight.  :D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/