Author Topic: Dirt tires  (Read 24685 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Dirt tires
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 12:23:21 pm »
I contacted a dealer I deal with and he has no answer on the tires for 2011 yet either.
He sent Darrell Krentz another email letting him know he needs to let people know whats going on.
Hoosier makes a hard compound 13" tire that would work, and they already have a Hoosier contract with the Thunder Roadsters.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 12:54:28 pm »
I think you guys need to stop dreaming and realize that the Federal is what we have to work with.  I tried them at the nationals and they wasnt bad, if we can put some grooves in and get some side bite I think it will be pretty good. 
I have a feeling that INEX inked an exclusive deal with Federal for legends tires and that is why we are stuck with this tire.

As far as the beadlock I had no issues with holding air.  Then again I never had problems with my mod tires either.  I always torque my bolts so that may have something to do with it.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Gimpster

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 02:44:42 pm »
 For me to be satisfied with a V-Grooved Federal tire on dirt they would have to open the rule up for ANY grooving I want. Sure the Federal may work with a little suffering on side bite on a dry or packed surface but it will not clean itself. There are to many inbetweens and narrowed up grooves in the thread from the factory. With the tires ability to retain more dirt trapped inbetween the lugs than a BFG and it's inability to shed trapped debris, the tire will not heat and cool evenly. You will be fighting unsafe handling issues thinking you missed a set-up. We all know what happens when you can't adjust a car for how it is handling.... UNSAFE racing is increased. To eliminate the hazzard at the speeds we obtain the tire grooving rule would have to opened up wide open on the Federal or they allow a real dirt tire to be used on our chassis. Look at it this way... Asphalt racers can camber cut the entire surface of the tires so they have good and safe racing, why not open groove rule for dirt to obtain the same result ??

- Gimpster -

Offline JC38

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 11:41:39 pm »
I talked to darrell at Nationals and the day after and he said that there is a %90 chance we are running the federals. they are going to let you groove them, not sure how much though. i ran the tires in the race of champions  and i put 16 pounds in the right rear with a beadlock and it lost air and was flat completley by the 15th lap.  The federals do work they are just to soft on the side walls. I told darrell that and he said that the engineers at federal will work with 600 and fix the problem. he also said something about running a taller bead on the wheel. so if they do that then are beadlocks might be junk, depends if they make a new wheel or just the rim. who ever has concerns just keep bothering darrell and tell him what you think. us guys in Missouri do it all the time.
Justin Comer #38

Offline Team510Racing.com

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 07:52:27 am »
This from Darell:

I don't anticipate outlawing them alltogether. I want to give everyone a chance to use them up.We are looking at using Federals or another company we will have a decision soon..
DK

So you can run BFG's next year as well has new tires. They will be faded in not just thrown out....
Paul McCollum

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 08:06:54 am »
I talked to Bassett Wheel  yesterday and they had to ship some beadlock wheels out to INEX for them to do some tire testing.
I was told that it was because the bead/sidewall is too thin that even when over-tightening the beadlock ring, they have issues with the tire spinning on the rim, or even in some cases coming off. I'll let you know if I hear anything back, picking up a Bassett Wheel order Friday so I can talk to the guys there then
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 08:08:12 am »
I must agree with JC on this issue. As I have always said; You can debate it to death here on the forum, but that isn't going to change the rules. The only way to get INEX to listen to concerns about tires, or any other rule, is to bring your concerns to the powers that be. Send emails, letters, make phone calls... Bother the hell out of them!
That is the only way to get them to listen to your concerns. Don't just complain; Offer up some cost effective solutions.

Somebody post up the email addresses and phone numbers.

My .02 for what it's worth.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 08:16:39 am »
Thats a pretty raw deal if they let the BFG run again, what are people like me supposed to do that dont have any BFG tires?  I had to borrow a set to run at the Nationals.  Hmmm, I am definitely going to let Darrell know my feelings again.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 09:07:02 am »
You can still get new BFG's, there are plenty in the warehouse at 600
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 09:08:02 am »
I must agree with JC on this issue. As I have always said; You can debate it to death here on the forum, but that isn't going to change the rules. The only way to get INEX to listen to concerns about tires, or any other rule, is to bring your concerns to the powers that be. Send emails, letters, make phone calls... Bother the hell out of them!
That is the only way to get them to listen to your concerns. Don't just complain; Offer up some cost effective solutions.

Somebody post up the email addresses and phone numbers.

My .02 for what it's worth.

Steve

Darrel Krentz
704-455-3906, ext. 230
dkrentz@uslegendcars.com
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 11:21:05 am »
I remember a few years back that one of the racing magazines (Circle Track maybe) was running stories about how dangerous it was that some wheel makers were using taller beads.  To seat them you had to sometimes use a dangerous amount of air pressure.  If they are coming loose or leaking on the lock side, I wonder if Bassett can just make a flatter lock ring that can put more pressure on the bead.  Just thinking out loud.   

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 12:20:54 pm »
I'm betting that we will be on Federals next year and they will have two groves that go around the tires. I'm haven't thrown my BFG's out yet and I too would love to see a true dirt tire that makes sence. My call is already in to Darrel. Just saying

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 12:44:35 pm »
What are you willing to bet Scott?  ;D
I'm always up for a wager as long as it doesnt involve my on track performance!
Darrell is in California for the "World Finals" and wont be back until the 9th, so let's fill up his voicemail and email boxes
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »
Mr Krentz now has my email to add to the pile.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline JC38

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 02:53:28 pm »
if they were going to have us run another tire. they would already have something by now. we will be on federals.  everybody on here email or call 600. if there is only a couple of us complaining its going to go in one ear and out the other. LETS GET ERRR DONE!
Justin Comer #38

anything