Author Topic: Knowing the Rules  (Read 9494 times)

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
Knowing the Rules
« on: September 09, 2007, 02:39:18 pm »
I strongly suggest that you know the rules and have a copy of them in hand when you race.  We had a racer's family "convince" the grid marshall of a rule that does not exist which almost took us out of the race last night.  Luckily, the tech director knew the rules, questioned the call, and the incorrect decision got reversed.

Know the rules, go by the rules, and know where to find specific rules in the rulebook for quick reference.  You may only have 30 seconds to make your case.

Offline gramps05

Re: Knowing the Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:40:25 am »
Now you have got me curious as to what this made up rule was, and why was it brought up on the starting grid?

jon8j

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:54:15 am »
Dang!  Should'a stayed to watch.   We wouldn't have left if we'd known there was gonna be contraversy...

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 01:03:41 pm »
It was not brought up before the race, the grid marshall was just the most convenient person with a radio headset that people could yell at.

On the very first first turn of the first lap, we had your basic brake-check accordian deal courtesy of the pole sitter.  On purpose or not, several on the bottom row were not anticipating it and those that did got their rear bumpers smashed.

The impact broke one of the rear bumper tabs on my son's car.  After about 5 laps, my son's bumber slung clean off and went down the wrecker lane.  That's when people started screaming that he HAD to be black flagged.

The rules are specific about such an incident.  Officials "MAY" black flag a car who loses a bumper. (not must)  There was some confusion, and the INEX official pointed out the rule and Trey was allowed to continue by the race director.  They did decide that since we were under caution that we should put a new bumper on, and we did, which put us to the rear.   The leader was running 14.7's and we were doing 14.8's, so we were out of the money anyway.  But it would have sucked to miss the race altogether.  Instead, we came from the back and finished 5th.  It was a good crowd and a good race.

Offline T48

• Sugar Babies Outfitters
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 11:10:38 am »
It was a great race, and Trey did an EXCELLENT job!

To add to the story as a spectator at the fence in turn 1, let me say that after the "break check" not only was Trey's right rear bumper dangling but so was the right front of the 43.  At that point we were honestly looking for a caution flag for repair to both cars.  Trey was throwing more sparks from his but the 43 was also throwing a few.  If a caution had been thrown at that point and both cars repaired under that caution the legality/ethics of the blag flag could have been avoided altogether.  Correct me if I'm wrong?  Do we not see a caution flag when someone loses a tire or gets a fender bent against the tire or a host of other scenerios that bring out a caution flag giving the driver two caution laps to get fixed and back out on the track?
-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 12:35:47 pm »
I thought it was 3 laps at SCS.  But I'm honestly not sure.   I know it is the norm to call a caution for such repairs though.   Thanks to Jason Price and George Pressley and several others helping us in the pits,  we had it replaced in about 30 seconds.

jon8j

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 03:42:28 pm »
Back when I helped flag at Senoia (way back when they used to appreciate that Legends was their biggest class...) we didn't call a caution specifically for such repairs.  However, since these situations usually accompanied a caution - we would give them a few courtesy laps to make repairs. 
And - yep - we did black flag 'em for a bumper dragging...  Late Model or Legend didn't matter.  Our INEX tech guy was vicious about that, even when we track officials were inclined to be lenient.  Sometimes we would hold off a lap or so in hopes that a caution might come out without  zapping the guy under green.  But sometimes it didn't.  That's racin...
JB

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 05:37:56 pm »
Yep.  We just happened to get lucky that he was pulling off (black flagged) just as a caution came out.  My only point was that the decision, according to the rules, is left to the track officials, and you better know things like this when people start screaming out rules that don't exist in an attempt to get you thrown out.

Offline 6th Geer

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:10:08 pm »
Out here at Irwindale Speedway and most of the West coast, if your bumber becomes unsecure in any way you are black flagged.
We showed them the rule that staes "May" and not "Must" and they said it is there call and we will be black flagged.

And the way we tear into each others bumbpers out here it happens very often....

JG6

anything