Author Topic: Ancient History  (Read 77309 times)

Offline JGRacing

Re: Ancient History
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2009, 06:31:13 pm »
Looking forward to seeing how the dwarf car turns out.  Also, don't forget to put a big wing on it.   ;)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2009, 11:16:36 pm »
John,
 When I get my computer back up and running I have another pic of  one with a wing. Think you'll like it!  ;D

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2009, 09:36:21 am »
I did get the bike! It's an '81 Yamaha 1100. Only has about 3,000 miles on it and is in really nice shape. I will likely ride it for awhile, then have my brother freshen the engine before it goes in the race car.

Still don't have an internet provider. Hope to get back online (full time) soon.  ;)

Steve

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2009, 01:28:34 pm »
Dang if it is that good of shape you have a keeper. Maybe you shouldn't tear it apart.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2010, 06:26:32 pm »
 I know a lot of you never thought you would see another update on this on going thread. [embarrassed!]
The Yamaha 1100 runs awesome. It is exremely fast for it's weight and size. As it is some 1050 lbs. in the bike, it should be pretty good in the race car.
 I picked up a 1000 Kawasaki last week for $250 (What A Buy!!!!). Everything seems to be in good shape. The battery is dead, so need to spend a few bucks to buy a new one. Will have my brother check it all out for me. It's nice to have a bike mechanic in the family!  ;D
 Hope to really get busy on at least one of the cars this spring and summer. Should have at least one up and running by next season.
Am going to talk to the local SCCA group here next weekend. Will let everyone know what they have to say.

Thanks for following along!

Steve

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2010, 11:48:09 am »
Make sure you post some pictures when you put the giant wing on the car.  ;)

Glad to see the project is coming along. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2010, 01:06:30 am »
Have decided to throw the 1000 Kawasaki into the sedan chassis. As it is already a roller, I am thinking this will be the fastest way to get back into racing. I have been gone way too long. <embarrassed> I still haven't given up on my own designed '40 Ford Coupe. Will still work on that as I am able. It has been a long period between design and build. I am always looking at upgrades. Can't wait to talk to the SCCA club tomorrow.

Steve

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2010, 11:11:02 pm »
Wait a minute...  What sedan chassis?  I knew you were putting together a home built coupe, but where did the sedan come from?

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2010, 11:24:20 pm »
I picked up a sedan chassis with the rear end already cut and welded and front suspension mostly done. I was going to cut it up to do repairs on the coupe, but couldn't bring myself to cut it up. Bought a '81 Yamaha 1100 and a Kawasaki 1000. I am going to put the 1000 in the sedan. I found a couple of neighbors who will help with the welding. I am thinking of trying to find a used legends body for it. May have one lined up.

Anyway, The plan is to get real busy this fall and winter and see if I can have it ready to go for next season. I have a ton of parts in the garage but will need to buy radius rods and heims. I'll talk to Jim about that when I'm ready.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2010, 02:55:43 pm »
Good to see an update on the longest running thread in Legendsracer history!
I'm switching my front end over to the 37 for next year Steve, so if you want the 34 stuff, let me know. Fenders and grill surround have been repaired multiple times, but its useable, it's still on my car.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2012, 03:41:52 pm »
The longest running thread on legendsracer is back on.  ;D
Picked up a trailer and can now at least get the car hauled around. Still more to do to it, but I've only got like $400 into it so far. Ramps and tire rack are my next plans for the trailer. Going through the boxes of parts and choosing what I need for the sedan. As it is a rolling chassis, I decided to do it first. Will post some pics when I get it out of the garage.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2012, 10:00:31 pm »
Got my tires for the race car yesterday.  THANKS TONY!!!
Also, now have my radius rods, upper link, panhard bar and heims.  THANKS JIM!!! (VMS Motorsports)
And got all my rear end brackets from RPM.  THANK YOU RANDY!!!
I have to Thank Dave and Justin Comer, Dave Spotton and a few friends from DCR for parts and advice.
Been going through my boxes of parts. Forgot how much stuff I have collected over the years. lol!

Steve

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2012, 06:56:48 am »
Now put it together and post some pictures.......Sound like you now....LOL
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2013, 10:16:24 pm »
Well, I guess the old thread is still alive and kickin'!

Pulled the engine and wiring harness out of the donor bike today. :)

I'm going to pull the pan to get a look at the bottom end. Will clean the oil pump and make sure all is within spec. On the advice from one of the KZR members, I picked up a trap door (or gate) to install on the pan. It helps keep oil around the oil pump pick up. Have used a similar "gate" on my modified in the past and was satisfied with the results.

Carbs look pretty clean. I will need to re-jet, so going to do a little cleaning while I'm in there.
I am building an air cleaner using the R2C filter from VMSmotorsports and some velocity stacks. Similar to Rosson Racings system or ITG.
Rather than pods or dual filters, I am going with my original idea to use a single oval filter. It is very similar in size to the air box it will be replacing.
I think it will work out well.

I bought my oil cooler, fittings and hoses. These old Kawasaki's don't push a lot of oil pressure, unfortunately, so a top end oiler may not be part of the system. I will hook up an oil temp gauge so I can track oil temperature. I also have the fans to help with cooling. Will just have to cross my fingers and hope cooling doesn't become an issue. As autocross is only one lap of the course, I think I will be alright.  Most of the courses are fairly short.

I am looking at some slotted cam gears for the valvetrain. Also looking into a rev limiter so as not to over rev if a missed shift. Speeds tend to be faily low on our local courses, but not sure at other locations around the state. Our course at the fairgrounds is pretty good sized with some nice straightaway speeds.

Interior aluminum and 1"x2" for rear clip repair bought from our local steel recycing yard. I Love This Place!!! Pacific Steel and Recycling. You have to stop in every week; But eventually you will find what you need. I still need to build my doors. Not a problem with the steel for that. I picked up some nice heavy duty (weldable) hinges from my local farm and ranch store.

The whole project is not coming along as quickly as I would like; But it is coming together.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2013, 03:17:38 pm »
Gasket set ordered today. Ready to dig in to the engine!!!

Picked up a couple Dyna rev limiters. Hope that gives me some measure of safety enginewise.

Doing a lot of reading and research on my engine and wiring.

Steve