Author Topic: Ancient History  (Read 92505 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Ancient History
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2008, 03:27:22 pm »
Hi all,
 Finally found a new place to live. Hope to have a garage sometime  this week.
Had to buy a new computer. Mirosoft Vista sucks! I can't get my HP digital camera software to load. Any computer wizards want to walk me through this one?  :-[

Bought a set of Toyota calipers and Hawk adapters to bolt to the rear end.  I'll post the pic when I get it resized.

Take Care,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2008, 03:30:12 pm »
All my computers have Vista at the office, and I just open up with Microsoft picture or whatever they call it, actually like it better than the HP stuff I had at home before I switched to the new camera
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 11:24:40 pm »
I'll try that.

Thanks Jim!

Steve

CWall5

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2008, 12:06:41 am »
I bought a brand new computer for my vinyl cutter and bought the windows program and wiped the Vista off and installed my windows..  lol  i don't like alot of change when its not broke..

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 12:37:27 am »
Stock Toyota calipers with Hawk bolt on adapters.
This will be temporary until I can get Wilwood calipers.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2008, 12:42:13 am »
Some quick pics.
I still have a long way to go.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2008, 10:22:01 am »
A coat of paint and it should be ready to go.   :)

I'm still going to keep pushing for the sprint car wing on top.   ;D

John 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2008, 11:18:10 am »
 I still have to cut out the damage caused by mounting that 3 wheeler rear end and replace the rear clip. I have the footbox area to build yet, and make the front hoops to mount my front suspension. Have rear suspension mounts to weld in also, so I can mount the rear end. I want to build a roll cage like structure around my fuel cell also. For now, I am going to use a 3 gallon fuel cell. I will likely upgrade to a 5 gallon cell at some point.
 My goal is to get it to the roller stage. I have most of the parts I need. I will have to build another trunk lid. Never did recover that. Upside, it was pretty easy to build. This time I am going to use some aluminum NASCAR hood hinges on it.
 The wing on top may not be a bad idea. Might help give some downforce on longer straights. I'm doing some research into the areodynamics. Gotta remember that I will be turning left and right, sloloms (? sp.), long and short straights, as well as tight turns. Most of the speeds will be relatively low compared to racing a road course or oval track. Steering and weight transfer will be my major focus.

Steve

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2008, 12:43:59 pm »
Like I had mentioned before, someone up in this area who I have seen in autocrosses has a little open wheel car with a big V8 and with huge wings and it just flys.  Just kidding about the sprint car wing.   ;D

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2008, 12:52:35 pm »
John,
 I'm always looking for any small advantage.
I posted that pic of Scuba Steve's Dwarf Car. He uses a wing... And it seems to work for him.
 My thinking right now is to limit air that gets under the car. Maybe sideskirts and a front airdam of some sort.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2008, 05:56:35 pm »
I'm not getting very far, but things are looking up. I get my garage tomorrow................... Finally!!!  ;D
I bought some heims a couple weeks ago. I think I can start assembling some sub-assemblies. At least then I can have things ready to go when I get the welding done.
Losing my job and cutting off my finger were not good for getting anything done on the car. I've had lots of time to dedicate to research and the site though.  :D
I've also been trying to help Ed with his Bando site. He is planning a winter series out west for the Bando Cars. Not firm on the dates yet. Will post them when I know more.
Didn't want you all to think I have given up on building my car.

Steve

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2008, 02:33:37 am »
You need to remember that faster moving air is a great source of down force.  Its not as important to keep the air out from under our cars, as it is to smooth out the flow of said air.  If the air thats moving under the car, can flow faster that the air on top, you can have down force. The way to use this to your advantage, is to make the underside of your car as free from bumps and protrusions as possible. If you can make the belly of your car flat and smooth, you will be well on your way to some good down force.  Side skirts are there in real race cars to keep the airflow under the car from going out the side. In aftermarket body kit form, they are there to look good and make you think your going faster :)
Same for the front air  splitter.

The problem with our cars, is the simple fact that they are airodynamic  as bricks.  We have lift in all the wrong places, and down force in oddball useless spots.
To counteract this, and to keep a legends or dwarf car planted, you need wings fore and aft.  More so on the back end of the car for the added traction.  8* of pitch, and approx. 8" of height from the highest body panel with the rear wing, will gain your the most downforce to drag ratio.  More pitch than that, the drag exceeds the benefit of DF. 

:D
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2008, 02:18:45 pm »
Hey Pegalis...
Not on the subject, but you need to post more...it seems like every time you do, i feel smarter after reading it! No joke...thanks for sharing!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2008, 02:30:19 pm »
To add to what Pegalis said about side skirts take a look at the big league cars at the big tracks.  They run as little side skirt as possible on the left side to help pull the air from under the car while the car is in yaw cornering.  Its a little something I never noticed until I was talking to a Hendrick engineer last year.  On my late model I made my side skirts on the left side so that they were even with the bottom of the frame and connected to the frame and aslo made the bottom of the car flat and clean.  Playing with the air is relatively cheap and easy downforce if you do your homework.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 02:38:25 pm »
Pegalis (Shaun) has been rather busy as of late. He has mostly recovered from his own injuries; But is also caring for his mother, who had a stroke recently. She has been improving also.

Shaun,
 I do think I will try to reduce drag underneath the car, and also add side skirts. I'm looking over some books on aerodynamics. For auto-cross, I don't think there will be any major gains by running a wing(s). Besides, They look goofy! The thing will never be an indy car. Not counting on ground effects... But would like to cut down on drag where I can.
Thanks for the input!

Steve

anything