Author Topic: Gearing for 1/4 mile restrictor plate tracks  (Read 9295 times)

Offline BR1081

Gearing for 1/4 mile restrictor plate tracks
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:01:41 am »
/I have been experimenting with gears to find the best one suited for the track.  So far I have tried a 13/62, 13/63, and a 13/65.  The tachometer reads a max of 5000 rpms with the 13/62 and 5140 with a 13/65.  My current set of tires is approx. 54" in diameter.  Do i need to keep changing gears until i can hit the rev limiter?  The valves have been set to .012 intake and .014 exhaust.  I closed them up to .004 and .006 to see if that would help with the rpms any and it did get the 13/62 to 5080 rpms.  Right now the car runs in the middle of the pack, i cant imagine going to a higher gear and being able to maintain enough speed to keep up with the other guys.  I do know that several of the other guys are running 13/63's, and they are leaving our car out of the corners.  Should i worry about trying to max out the rpms, any thoughts?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Gearing for 1/4 mile restrictor plate tracks
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:25:09 am »
If your not comfortable with your nephew running faster to keep up with the lead pack, then I would leave the gear alone until he gets more seat time and becomes more comfortable driving the car. If he is running middle of the pack because the faster cars are pulling off the corners faster, then you need to work on set up. In that case; Then we need to go back and look at your last thread on tire temps. http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=1379.msg11226#msg11226
We now know that you are running a 1/4 mile track with a restrictor plate, and that your nephew is in his rookie year. That is helpful!
I think you will end up back looking at tire pressures and spring rates. Perhaps ride heights and, as Chance suggested, where your weight is placed.
Are you getting any better feedback from your driver now that he has spent a little more time in the car?

If indeed this thread leads back to your original thread, which I believe it will; Then I will move this info and whatever corresponce to your other thread.
It might help if you let us know which track(s) you run. Perhaps one of our members can shed a little more light on your situation. I have a couple of set ups in my library that I can share with you, but will need to check what size track(s) they are for. I've been asked not to post them, but have been given permission to share them via email or private message. I respect our members that have shared their info with me, so will respect their wishes not to post it. Post your track, more info, whatever you feel comfortable sharing. PM or email me if you do not feel comfortable sharing more info. I'll try to help where I can.

Regards,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline GoneDirt

• Parker Power Sports
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 12:35:46 pm »
I agree its all in the setup, we are abandoning our conservative setup we tried for that track. I have  learned that if  it pushes in and pushes out we cant recover our speed.  We are going back to a looser set up and hope the driver adapts.   I have a good one you can try also.

Offline BR1081

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 08:27:22 pm »
Thanks for the responses, I sent steve a pm of my current set up, hopefully i can get some feedback.

I know he can get by on his current setup and finish in the middle of the pack, i just feel that his setup may not be optimal and im not sure where to go from here.

As far as running in the corners, he can hold a line and run side by side with the best in his group.  He seems to be loosing the most ground on the straightaways, he can be side by side with another car coming off the turn and they pass or pull away from him like he is putting the brakes on, and of course hes not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 02:31:26 am »
I got your info. I'll give it a good look tomorrow. Sorry! I am just so tired!!!

Speaking of brakes though... Could he be resting his foot on the brake pedal? Or perhaps the brake caliper is dragging?
Just a thought. I have a few others but need to get a bit of rest first.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline rob

• J & R Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:24:33 am »
If your driver is at the point were he can roll the corner without brakes, I would move up on the clutch to a 14, made a big difference for us. As far as hitting the chip with a restrictor plate you are not going to hit it.
Rob

Offline Bando9

• WE ALL WANT TO GO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Gonnamracing9
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:35:01 pm »
OK well there a lot of stuff said and i agree with all of it see my problem was that i was like the other guys i can beat anyone in to the turns and i raced at a big trace i ran a 14 clutch that what i think you should try. I would take a look at this to find simalar things    http://www.bandostuff.com/sitebuilder/images/Bando_Gear_Chart-701x665.jpg     Thanks bandostuff    as i have learned on hear a 14 will help you keep speed up and is your track banked if it is send me a pm for more gearing help.

For the set up a thing we did that hurt me a a driver is we ran a tight car that was pritty fast for my rookie year. then to go faster we loosened up the car i was fast but i could hardly drive it. so what i suggest is getting the car looser a little bye little. dont make and big ajust ments. a nother handleing thing is the front toe idk what you are running or what you should but i know that helped me gain a tenth or 2 a lap.

and if i were you i would send a pm to bandostuff and ask him about the springs around the brakes to keep the pads from draging. No mater how good your brakes are they will drag a little.

Chance 8)
I race in the Midwest send me a mp if you are racing up hear.

anything