Author Topic: Toe keeps moving  (Read 6649 times)

Offline fsk14712

Toe keeps moving
« on: July 04, 2010, 10:21:42 am »
I need help.  My toe changes every time I go on the track.  It always goes out and not in.  It started the last few races of last season.  During the off season I replaced all the heim joints, rods, wheel bearings, ball joints in hopes it would correct the problem.  It did not.  I have checked the spindle bolts on the back of the spindles and the two stearing arm bolts on the bottom of the spindles.  Everything is tight.  I have a new style rack that has no play or slop in it.  The only play in the entire stearing system is the u joints on the stearing wheel shaft.  I set my toe to 1/8 inch and when I come off the track, it is anywheres between 3/8 to 3/4.  The jam nuts are alway tight and the rods do not turn.  I have even jacked the car up and spun the tires to check for a bent rim.  The rims spin true and appear to be straight.  The only thing I have not changed is the stearing rack.  Does anyone know if a stearing rack will cause a cars  toe to move and if so, can it be fixed by rebuilding it?  Has anyone else had this problem?  If so, how did you fix it?  I have had 7 or 8 guys look at my car and nobody can find the problem and it has mind boggled everyone.  Please help. 

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
Re: Toe keeps moving
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:51:37 am »
Sounds like you tried just about everything. Do you have a spare steering rack or able to borrow one from some just for 1 race to see if that fixes the issue?

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 05:16:21 pm »
Check the rack plate, they crack & break at the bend. If it is broken, the toe will change randomly. The rack cannot affect the toe setting as it is a steel shaft that can't get any shorter.

I know you checked it but,  check the spindle pin in the spindle body. The center bolt has been known to come loose and that will also change the toe settings and can only be checked when the car is jacked up and the load is removed from the pin.

Good luck, Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 06:03:53 pm »
Steering arm on the bottom of the spindle while you're looking at the spindle. The front bolt on my right spindle needs to be tightened every race night. If it loosesns up a little, will cause toe isues, alot, you'll know!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline fsk14712

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 03:48:06 pm »
I do have a spare rack.  I think I'm going to switch it out and see what happens.  I am also going to take each spindle off and take them apart in hopes to find something.  I've checked it all while on the car and can not find anything.  Maybe while it is apart and off the car, I can find something.  All the bolts are always tight and never loosen up.  Maybe there is something wrong that can not be wiggled or moved by hand but the vibration and force of racing makes something move.  Still searching for the problem.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 03:51:51 pm »
Did you check for a bent steering rack mount?
Seems it would be constant if it were bent... Without the gussets, they are a pretty weak mount.
My .02 for what it's worth.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Okiesnake

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:48:32 pm »
A couple of things you might have already checked but make sure the bevel edge on the steering arm is correct. This picture is of the right side of the car. 
Also check that the two bolts are tight under the steering arm (taken from the underside)

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 04:02:39 pm »
What type of rack do you have? The new style or old style?
If  it is the old style, slide the boots off and check the end pieces, there are allen screws that may have come loose. You DO NOT have to disassemble the box. The new style does NOT have this type of

anything