Author Topic: Oil overflow and venting  (Read 15223 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: Oil overflow and venting
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:06:46 pm »
so after a day of racing, (3 practices, heat and feature) how much oil should be left in the motor, as far as how high filled up on the glass?

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:09 pm »
The biggest reason for blow by is improper oil level.  Your oil should be a MAX of 3/4 up the window when the engine is NOT running and sitting on a level surface. I have plumbed cans in every way you can think of, the most effective way i have found is mounting the can on the fire wall, run a line from the vent to the bottom of the can, and a return line from the side of the can to the fill port. A big feature in this case is the fact that ALOT of heat rolls out of the fill port and out the vented can. I have plumbed to the oil pan with not alot of success.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-3109212

I like the idea of ventng from the vent and the fill port, especially for heat dissipation reasons, but wouldn't that be illegal per the rule book? I know some tech officials are lax, and some are very thorough, but just don't want someone DQ'd for something like this.

From the rulebook:

51. OIL CATCH CANS: An oil catch can (maximum 1 quart capacity) may be used. It must be securely fastened and remain within the engine compartment. It may only be routed to by a hose from the stock crankcase breather opening or the oil fill cap.

53. OIL CRANKCASE BREATHER: The only locations that the crankcase may have a breather is under the carburetors at the stock outlet or in the oil fill cap. This breather may not be evacuated through the exhaust pipe (header). There may not be any additional breather holes for the crankcase. Breathers and hoses must remain within the engine compartment. Baffles used in the hoses are permitted.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 02:09:00 pm »
I had a US Legends Tech suggest I vent my system the way Dennis is talking.  Therefore I set mine up that way this year.  Even bought a custom oil cap to AN fitting so the plumbing would be nicer for my "drain".

The Tech said you are not using it as a vent but as a drain back (wink, wink).  I'm sure a strict tech guy could call you on it but the tech guy I know said he didn't think it was a problem.

Gerad
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 01:54:14 pm »

If you run on asphalt, the running of a catch can is mandatory, dirt, its not. We just run a 9" tube from the breather to a breather filter.

to clarify, running a catch can is not mandatory in any division, dirt or asphalt.

per the 2011 INEX rulebook  51. OIL CATCH CANS: An oil catch can (maximum 1 quart capacity) may be used. It must be securely fastened and remain within the engine compartment. It may only be routed to by a hose from the stock crankcase breather opening or the oil fill cap.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 03:19:31 pm »
Yes, per the rule book, you are correct.
The asphalt tracks that I had seen the rules for had specified that a catch can is mandatory, as the individual tracks can modify the rules, as long as they change them to be more restrictive than the current INEX rules
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

anything