Author Topic: Experience with Federal Tires on Asphalt  (Read 27106 times)

Offline cryer

Re: Experience with Federal Tires on Asphalt
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 08:47:43 pm »
I will have mine on this week. I bought two sets a couple of weeks ago ,but I also had a new set of  bfg's so I ran them first.
I cant wait to try them out.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 09:20:20 pm »
Interested to see what you think.
I have been told that they need to be scuffed in before racing on them. 30 - 40 laps to break them in.
Let us know how it goes and what you think.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 06:31:01 am »
news flash------- They are just like the BFG's. They will not stick with oil under them........... ;D

But yes Steve you are right they do have a scuff period but how many laps I think depends on the surface of the track.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline CP Motorsport UK

• Chris Pye Motorsport
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 03:58:28 pm »
I ran some heat cycles into my cut Federals last week, 3 x 20-25 lap mid paced heat cycles on a 1/4 mile paved track.  I then ran a hot run of 15-20 laps and found there was a lot of grip.

On Monday 31st we were one of two cars to run these new tires at our UK Oval Track Legends Meeting.  I started heat one in 2nd out of 22 cars and finished in 2nd.  The tires went off after about 6 laps.  I then failed post race checks with a car that somehow had moved and was now 1/2" too long.  Not had chance to check it out against the BFGs to see if the tires are the reason we gained all that length.  Heat two followed a contact formula, and there was some slippery liquid on inside exit of turn 2.  The car stepped out as soon as contact was made.  I wanted a result so kept it neat and finished in 10th.  We then dropped 2lbs out off all 4 tires for feature.

In the Feature, I lined up on pole and led the race for first 20 laps, having pulled out a full straight lead in early stages.  My fastest lap was 0.3 secs faster than any I posted on BFGs at this track.  I was caught by a flying driver who won both heats and then the feature and then held onto 2nd by the end of the 30 lap race.  I am still 0.4 secs of the pace, but I was 0.7 last time, the tires helped, but they were so hot, sticky at the end of the feature they have over worked themselves. 

Now for the worrying fact - After 1 meeting, I am almost on the wear bar on the outside rear!!! Something is wrong!

Anyone got any ideas?

Chris

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 06:08:28 pm »
Did you take any tire temps?  Unless there is an issue with the tire, or it was cut pretty low, you might just be really loose. 

Offline thunder938

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 06:38:24 pm »
I know a guy that ran 1 night of prac. and used up a right rear, but they were cut VERY low..

I have run 1 prac night and a race night and they still look good,
Dave

Offline CP Motorsport UK

• Chris Pye Motorsport
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 02:41:16 pm »
Did you take any tire temps?  Unless there is an issue with the tire, or it was cut pretty low, you might just be really loose. 

Due to finishing feature 2nd, by time we had got our trophies and done a parade lap, the temps had cooled down before I got into pits.  They were much hotter to touch than the BFGs ever got.  The INEX guy checked the durometer on the outside rear and it was 67/68.

The tires were cut by someone in the states before they were shipped.  He cuts all the dealer's tires for him, so not sure how they compare to rest.  But we lost a load of tread in one meeting.

Got to increase spring weights, as with a 240 lb driver in a coupe, back end has too much weight on it, and with the tire with a thinner tire wall, could be more natural spring on axle anyway.

I know a guy that ran 1 night of prac. and used up a right rear, but they were cut VERY low..

Could be they have been cut too low like mine.  We should not be using a tire a meeting, surely not.  I know 600 want to sell more tires, but I can't afford to!

Offline thunder938

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 04:42:59 pm »
I know that that guy had his cut WAY low and not the same cut he sells to other drivers.
Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 05:33:55 pm »
Did any other tires show that kind of wear (your's or anyone else)? 

Offline thunder938

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 06:37:53 pm »
My tires have one night of prac. and one race night that included some hot laps, 4 lap dash, 8 lap heat, and 20 lap main and they still look good.  The track I was at has concrete in the corners too.
Dave

Offline cryer

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 02:44:47 pm »
I ran mine this weekend for the first time. I put on 15 easy laps then 15 harder laps.
all I can say is I LOVE these tires. Grip is unreal !!! I still have a little more susp. work to do.

Offline rsrr

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 03:05:21 pm »
How much air pressure are you guys running on the new tires?

Offline cryer

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 11:47:59 pm »
18*28

Offline apm motorsports

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 12:37:01 am »
tires are 1 to 2 10s slower than bf with same setup wear out alot quicker softer rubber playing with springs and air  still not at speed with bf. not happy with tires . tires roll over due to soft side walls testing going on 4 race days. goingto nitrogen see if thats helps

Offline cryer

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 09:39:57 am »
tires are 1 to 2 10s slower than bf with same setup wear out alot quicker softer rubber playing with springs and air  still not at speed with bf. not happy with tires . tires roll over due to soft side walls testing going on 4 race days. goingto nitrogen see if thats helps

my exp. has been just the opp. I did notice allot of rubber coming off the right rear ,but I was being helped out of the corners a few times. LOL

anything