Author Topic: Cooling the Clutch  (Read 10187 times)

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
Cooling the Clutch
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:22:40 am »
Is ducting out side air on to the clutch legal,  Reversing the clutch (shoes to the out side sprocket to the inside is that legal?  Can we use any type of oil filter?and possibly an oil cooler,just wondering?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Cooling the Clutch
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:56:20 am »
Reply to question 1, found in your 2010 rule book or on-line:

28. SCOOPS/DUCTWORK: A maximum of two scoops are permitted on any Bandolero Car. Only one scoop is permitted per side of the car. The scoops must be mounted approximately 14” forward from the center of the rear wheels. The scoops must measure approximately 8 1/2” up from the bottom edge of the body to the top of the scoop. A hose is permitted to be attached to the scoop to assist in the directing of airflow to the brakes or the engine. The hose must be firmly attached to the end of the duct and must be mounted securely, directing air to the brake caliper or the engine only. The permitted hose may not measure any larger than 3” in diameter. Fans may not be placed inside the hose or duct. Any competitor caught directing air to any other location other than the brakes or the engine will be disqualified. The scoops may be no larger than the scoop offered by U.S. Legend Cars International. Competitors may not direct air to the air filter box or the carburetor in any way.

Reply to question #2, found in the 2010 rule book or on-line:

3. CLUTCH GEAR: The only clutch gear permitted is the 12, 13, 14 or 15 tooth as delivered by U.S. Legend Cars International. The only clutch springs allowed are the ones as delivered by U.S. Legend Cars International. The clutch otherwise must remain in its stock configuration as currently sold by U.S. Legend Cars International. No other modifications are permitted to the clutch (i.e.- use of a non-slip clutch, welding of the clutch). The clutch shoes must remain unaltered with the exception of regular maintenance by sanding the shoe face. The shoe must not be thinner than .180” to be measured at either end of the shoe (both ends must be .180” or more).

Nothing found in the rule book pertaining to Oil coolers, except the catch-all:

If this rulebook does not specifically say that you can change/modify/add something, then you must consider that the change/modification/addition is illegal. Any questions about the legality of a change/modification/addition not covered in this rulebook, must be answered by INEX in writing and presented to the tech inspector upon request. If you have a request for a change/modification/addition, please contact INEX before making the change/modification/addition.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:20:10 pm »
So if  I install a scoop on the left side of car and point 3"hose at the engine to cool engine and the clutch is attached to engine in air stream and clutch happens to be in the stream thats cools the engine that make it legal,correct.  The clutch is designed to be installed  in or out with no mods to the clutch.  I found no rules or instructions to install clutch either way, the reason to move spocket to the inside is for supension clearence, room to change springs and shocks on left side.  Thanks Jim for the responce

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:13:43 pm »
Sounds like the scoop and hose would would be legal. As the clutch is attached to the outside of the engine, I don't see where that presents a problem.

As for mounting the clutch, The rules do not specify which direction it has to mount. I know a lot of the kart guys mount the gear inward so as to provide a little more protection should the chain break. That is how and why mine (yard kart) is mounted that way.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Bando9

• WE ALL WANT TO GO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Gonnamracing9
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:56:07 am »
I know my car came with spots to hook up hoses to cool clutch i have seen people have them to engine but like the others said that not legal
I race in the Midwest send me a mp if you are racing up hear.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:32:06 pm »
Chance,

Cooling of engine/ clutch and brakes is permitted. The only restriction is the 2 scoops and their placement on the car.

Steve

Offline Bando9

• WE ALL WANT TO GO FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Gonnamracing9
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 06:50:57 pm »
OK thanks
I race in the Midwest send me a mp if you are racing up hear.

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 11:37:40 am »
Once on the track (oval),  and above pace speed,  the clutch should stay engaged, except for possibly a start or re-start.  It develops very little, if any  heat when engaged.  If you had some very heavy springs, (causing engagement at higher RPM) cooling might be a consideration.  Most people use a red spring (stock) or white for more RPM or brown to engage sooner than the red.  The car will usually accelerate better with the clutch engaged.

A road course with the heaver springs may be a good reason to cool the clutch and defiantly the brakes.

The clutch only fits on the motor one way.  It would be possible to alter the clutch and turn it around but I'm sure that would not fly with the tech gods.

Here is an RPM chart on clutch springs

Brown      1500?
Red           1700
White        1850
Blue          2100
Purple       2400
Green        2550

For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 02:03:34 am »
Thank You for that info on the springs Ed!

I' m not sure why the clutch could not be turned around, unless the shaft is tapered. Works on the kart clutch. Looks a bit strange, as we usually tend to see them mounted with the gear on the outside.  ???

Steve