Author Topic: Little Help, Carb Problem  (Read 9049 times)

Offline gramps05

Little Help, Carb Problem
« on: April 22, 2007, 05:43:09 pm »
When at race speeds I am having fuel wetting the air filters and blowing on to the right front fender. Motor is new, compression is 155/160 cold, 170 hot on all cylinders. It is doing this with two different sets of carbs, two different fuel pumps, float height .880 all carbs at this stage I don't know what else to check. Motor runs strong, won heat, 2nd in feature first race.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
Re: Little Help, Carb Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 06:24:31 pm »
I do not know the answer for certain, but here are a few things to get you thinking.

When your car has not been started for a few days, is it necessary to choke it to start it?  If not, you could have a fuel leak in the carb from worn parts.  I think it is common for the main emulsion tube to wear into an oval shape.

What do your spark plugs look like?  They should be light tan.  If they are dark or blackened, it indicates that your carbs are running rich.

Have you adjusted your cam timing?  An improperly timed intake valve event could cause a back pluse.

Do you think it is happening at low RPM, or more at only high RPM?

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 06:51:21 pm »

Offline gramps05

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 06:33:38 pm »
Think I got it fixed, changed the needle seat o-rings, think they may have shrunk or dried out over the winter.

anything