Author Topic: Ignition questions...red vs black  (Read 8171 times)

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
Ignition questions...red vs black
« on: July 30, 2007, 09:45:11 pm »
Is there any reason why I can't use the black coils with the red igniter box?

Are the black igniter boxes better?  Are the black boxes with the vacuum hose better than the ones without?

Are the blue plates with pickups and small rotor better than the black pickups and stock rotor?

I have a complete red/blue system on my engine now, but I do not want to swap parts from one engine to the other. (red box is on firewall and can be used on both)

The used 1200 I bought to rebuild came with two black igniters(one has vacuum), the stock rotor with dual pickups and black coils.

I'm thinking I should buy a second blue plate and rotor and use the black coils with the red box.

Any thoughts?

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
Re: Ignition questions...red vs black
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 12:51:13 pm »
1. No reason you can't run black coils, with the red box, but it is better to run the red ones, as the resistance is different and you will eventually burn up the black coils with the red box.

2. Are the black boxes better? depends on who you ask, but as to the one with the vacuum and the one without, you definitly want the one with it. These are the FJ boxes, the ones with out are the XJR boxes. Differeance being the XJR box has a 9500 rev limiter and the fj has about a 10200 limiter.

3. Yes. Blue plate is better asyou can adjust the ignition timing easily.

I much prefer te red box system, but the FJ box setup is just about as good.

I would say just buy the extra pickup and run it with the black coils (if for temp use) but if permenant, get a second set of red coils as well.

Also, when you install the blue plate, be sure to use a 15 thousandths feelerguage and have tat least that clearance between the pick up and the rotor, or it will eventually rub and ruin the pickup
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 09:36:54 pm »
THANKS!!!

The red box supposedly has a 10500 RPM limiter, so I will stay with that.  Since I have the black coils, I'll use them for now.  But the black igniter will be good as a spare.

I think I'll buy another blue plate and go with that.

Again, huge thanks for the help.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 10:20:50 am »
no problem. And yup you are right, the red box has a 10500 rev limit.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer