Author Topic: WEIGHT--- Where to place it???  (Read 7940 times)

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
WEIGHT--- Where to place it???
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:34:27 pm »
750 lb. car and driver,  50 lb. driver+550 lb. car= 150 lbs lead.  What is the correct left side percentage, cross right to left  and front to rear weight.   Lots of lead so little room!!

scooterham

Re: WEIGHT--- Where to place it???
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:26:25 pm »
according to the rules, you have to put an equal amount of lead on left and right sides, and having to place that much lead in the car, you may be using all available spots for the lead on both sides anyway.  we run about 40 percent cross weight(lr to rf) without driver, 43% with driver, 52% left side with and without driver,  55%rear without driver, 52% with driver,  total wt. without driver is 603,  with driver 762.  we have 30 lbs of lead in the car, and it's all as far forward as you can get it.  you can only stack lead 3 inches high, so if you use the largest blocks of lead available(12lx2.5wx1.5h), which is 20 lbs., you can stack 2 of those on each side in one spot.  i would think with a 50 lb. driver(are you sure of that?), that you would then want to put another 20 lb. on each side, which would give you a total of 120 lbs. of  lead. i would then scale the car and maybe  determine where to put the last 30 lbs. of lead. just remember, the rules for lead are very specific. it must all be in the driver's compartment, and must be the same on left and right sides.  that 80 lbs. at the very front may be a little much, and make the car push off the corner, but if the driver doesn't have any racing experience, until they learn to really mash that pedal, it may help make the car feel better thru the corner. i've always found that a tight handling car feels much more comfortable to a new driver, then as they get some seat time and get comfortable with a looser car, which should be faster to a certain point, you can move some of the weight back. remember, if you play around with the shock preload too much, you will probably end up with way too much preload, and make the rear almost rigid, because the front is rigid, then the rear will bounce through the corners.  use the lightest springs in the rear as you can, like  a 125 lr and 200-225 rr. good luck,

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 11:47:00 pm »
Thanks you for information, just what I needed,  Yes the driver 's weight is 50 lbs, He's 7 yrs old now,Been racing dirt go karts for 2 yrs .  I have to pile the lead on to meet class rules.  During the last 2 seasons he has collected over thirty feature wins at different tracks around Texas, along with 1 track championship, we now  have to race drivers 10-12 yrs old. He want be 8 until June  2010 we will be practicing until then, and planning a limited Bandolro schedule next yr.  His name is Chandler Ford " Hot Rod" to his paw paw.(hotrodfordracing.com) again thanks for information Tim Worthy

Offline GoneDirt

• Parker Power Sports
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 08:18:19 pm »
scooterham,
How does to much weight forward of the driver cause a push coming out. I have been struggling with a push coming out and looking back at my notes it has got worse when i did move the weight forward (thinking it would help but didn't). It helped entering the corners but from the middle out he cant hold it down. After reading your post i am going to move more back. Thank you for your post it was enlightening

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 08:33:24 pm »
 Made a mold 12x 2 1/2x1 1/2 per rules,  doubled checked measurments twice.  the block came out of mold nice and neat at 17.8 lbs(2.2) lbs short.  The rule state approx 20 lbs is 17.8 close enough?  T.Worthy