Author Topic: Reading Tire Temps  (Read 6691 times)

Offline TomTom

Reading Tire Temps
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:51:37 pm »
    I have the Steve Smith book according to him the LF tire should "cool" from the inside/closet to frame out, how the hell is that if you run 1.5 to 2  deg. pos camber it leans the tire away from the frame so the outside leading edge would be the warmest, thus it would cool from the outside in. Am I right or what ? What do your cars LF look like? I run 1/4 mile high banked asphalt

THANKS GUYS ;)

Tom #3

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Reading Tire Temps
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:32:31 am »
Tom if you have the camber right you should see about the same temp. across the tire. That is the reason for putting camber in the tire is to get nice a flat in the turn. Hope that make it clear.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline TomTom

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:19:36 am »
 ;)   Thanks Scott, I appreciate the input I must be doing something correct because my LF is with in 4* from outside to inside.

THANKS

Tom #3

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:03:00 pm »
You will want the outside of the LF to be a couple of degrees warmer since you are running on that part of the tire on the straights.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 10:36:37 pm »
The outside of the LF tire should be the warmer temp on the left from, the inside will be cooler. The car is riding on the outside of the tire, in the straights and the corners.

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:59:42 am »
I agree with Qdog and RacinJ.  The reason the outside temp should be higher is that is always in contact with the track.  When you go down the straight away the inside of the tire is not touching and is cooled by the air going over it.  If your temps are the same across the tire you are close but you still don't have enough camber.  You should have 5-8 degrees difference across the tire.