Author Topic: Left Side Nerf  (Read 6374 times)

Offline TomTom

Left Side Nerf
« on: September 02, 2009, 02:53:47 pm »
Ok, I can understand why sanctioning bodies will not let you run sand/lead pellets in your front bumper, but why not left side nerf bar, it seems like it would be a hell of alot safer than have the lead brick mounted to the floor pan ???

I run my legend as a dwarf we have to weigh 1,240 lbs with driver,  my car weighs 970 lbs w/o driver, I have to add some 75 lbs to be legal I ran out of room to add it so I was thinking what if I were to fill my left side nerf full of sand or something  ;D

THANKS

Tom #3

Offline CJ5

Re: Left Side Nerf
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:41:16 am »
Buy some clamp on weight brackets to hold your lead in. They come in different sizes for different tubing sizes so you can mount it pretty much anyplace, and they are safer than bolting it to a floor pan. I never understood why they make a clamp on bracket for holding lead out of aluminum (maybe because it's easy to machine) but they work great.
In the nerf bars I don't think you could get enough weight using sand but you could melt some lead into it but they can come loose and do some damage to someone so I wouldn't recomend it. I've seen the damage a chunk of weight can do when it falls off  and it's not pretty so I'm careful about mouting it. The incident I seen a stock early 70's Monte Carlo roof peeled back about 3 feet and ripped off and bent the halo bar in the roll cage. Way to close to hitting the driver so be careful.

Good Luck
Chris
Full time Realtor Part time Racer. Whats wrong with this picture?

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 05:00:17 pm »
The nerf bars are so flimsy I wont even stand on mine much less attach weight to it.  Have someone fabricate one out of 1" solid steel rod.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 12:43:45 pm »
970 w/o the driver............WOW. Mine is heaver than that w/o the motor...................LOL
You might want to check your scales. I have never heard of one that light.

Scott 77w
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 01:13:08 pm »
True, People dont believe me that my car is 1130 w/o the driver!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline TomTom

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:09:05 pm »
 ;D I will gurantee my 9 year old legend chassis race ready with 3 gallons of fuel is 970 lbs on my Rebco Scales & on my buddies scales which are Longacre it weighs 967 lbs. Now gentleman let me explain to you how I run my legend car, no fenders seen I dont run it as a legends class, and it has a 03' Suzuki GSXR 600 motor, and I run a 3 gallon fuel cell. I know you guys have to run certain rims too, my rims are 13 lbs each which saves weight too, manufactured by a local company up here in Massachusetts. There is a guy who runs a Legend car too as a dwarf, his car is even lighter 955 lbs race ready because he is running 4 wheel wilwood disc brake set-up which is obviously a ton lighter than the 600 racing  drum brakes like I run.

Have Fun

Tom #3

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 07:55:54 pm »
oh I get it now. I thought I was doing something wrong ...........way wrong. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 10:39:09 pm »
Man I woild  run so much left side lead I wish I could get 75 on the left rear.

anything