Author Topic: Ride height vs. cross weight  (Read 32364 times)

Sagermotorsports

Ride height vs. cross weight
« on: August 25, 2009, 10:24:09 am »
Hey everybody,

I do not have a set of scales of my own,I am running a professional setup on my car so my question to everyone is what is more important setting the correct ride height or the correct cross weight percentage ? The more opinions the better on this one
Thanks
Brett

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Ride height vs. cross weight
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 07:28:18 pm »
cross is very important with these cars unless you have it less than 3.5 in height, then the tech guy might disagree with me.  You set the ride height and then adjust the cross from there with more steps involved of course. That is how we do it anyway.

Scott #77w
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline John_Schwemler

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 11:34:16 pm »
I tend to agree....

We attempt to keep good ride heights while we adjust for crossweight for the percentage we want.  Sometimes we'll have a difference of 1/4 between each of  the tires when we get finished, which is fine as long as we're above the tech measurement.  (we give up an 1/8th of an inch because the pads aren't the greatest at the tracks we run at)
Go fast, turn left!

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 07:34:54 am »
Thanks Guys,

My next question is, My car is a little high on all the sides but my cross weight is pretty good. If I adjust all my ride heights to the setup sheet, then my cross weight will not match up. I would think that getting the car closer to the track would allow it to handle better, but yet cross weight will be affected. What next?

Brett

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:17:25 am »
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in.

I always paid attention to cross and corner weights, front to rear ratio, how LR heavy, etc. and all, but could never drive the car.
The last time I set-up the car, I took what I learned and knew and applied it, made a few minor adjustments, and the car is better than it has ever been (not counting my electrical issues I'm currently experiencing).

I never scaled it.

Set up is important, but I feel that your ass in the seat can tell you more than your car on scales. If its the perfect combination of cross and ride heights, but you can't drive it, is it really perfect?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 04:36:18 pm »
Cross weight with these cars is very important.  I have found that ride height is not as critical as cross weight.  You shouldn't have any issue getting the right cross weight and ride height though.  I have spent hours on the scales getting it right, in the end its worth the time spent.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline TomTom

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:13:27 pm »
 ???     Whats a good ride height to start with on 1/4 mile high banked asphalt tracks, not running Inex rules ????

THANKS

Tom #3

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 06:24:24 pm »
Thanks Guys for the input, now I know what I need to do

Brett

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 07:00:13 pm »
Cross weight with these cars is very important.  I have found that ride height is not as critical as cross weight.  You shouldn't have any issue getting the right cross weight and ride height though.  I have spent hours on the scales getting it right, in the end its worth the time spent.

Ok...it is important, sure, but my car is alot better now than it was when I was worrying about scaling it and making sure the percentages were right. Obviously I dont have the experience or success that Jeff does, so I would recommend you listen to him over me anyday, but personally, I'm much happier and faster now that I've tuned the car to my skill set/comfort versus tuning it to perfect geometric percentages on paper
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 07:03:16 pm »
Thanks Guys,

My next question is, My car is a little high on all the sides but my cross weight is pretty good. If I adjust all my ride heights to the setup sheet, then my cross weight will not match up. I would think that getting the car closer to the track would allow it to handle better, but yet cross weight will be affected. What next?

Brett

To answer your question, changing the ride height will affect more than just cross, it will affect pinion angle, bump steer, wheelbase, roll center, and all that other crap that I dont have the time, patience, or intelligence to deal with  ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Sagermotorsports

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 07:48:29 pm »
I hear that, I think , since I don't own a set of scales, I will just fine tune the car at the track. A little here and there. I also don't have the experience or the intelligence to try to factor in all the variables with these cars. All I know is if I turn something and I don't like it I will put it back and try something else. Better late than never with only two races left in the season :)

Thanks
Brett

Offline thunder938

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 12:06:25 pm »
Do what you like, every car is diff. and evry person drives  diff. and wants the car to do something else.  It is nice to have help on the front /caster camber #s, but when it come to the cross and corner numbers you will have to do what you like...

Dave

Offline DanH

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 03:10:27 pm »
Cross weight is an essential setting on a Legend.

Also investing in a set of scales takes alot of guessing out of setting the car and when you make a small wedge change at the track when you get back at the shop car goes back on the scales and then you can see what the adjustment did to the car.

Having our own set of scales from the start of the year has enabled the car to be the same everytime it leaves the shop.

Dan

Offline TomTom

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 05:48:29 pm »
 What would be the max. cross weight you would use on a 1/4 mile  asphalt high bank track, not inex rules, no ride height min.

THANKS

Tom #3

Offline DanH

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 07:23:42 pm »
What would be the max. cross weight you would use on a 1/4 mile  asphalt high bank track, not inex rules, no ride height min.

THANKS

Tom #3

This is my personal preference and it would be 49.4 ish maybe 49.6 if you had a coupe. All depends on your driving style and what you prefer to drive the car like.