Author Topic: Bump Steer Question  (Read 7848 times)

Offline TomTom

Bump Steer Question
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:54:02 pm »
I race on a asphalt high banked 1/4 mile tracks, and was wondering how important bump steer is ? Do I need to invest $200 plus for a bump steer gauge from longacre ? I like many of you have a tight racing budget, but It's real tight now since I got laid off, I have $100 for this weekend to run and hope nothing gets bent!!!!!!!!!!!11

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Tom from Massachusetts

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
Re: Bump Steer Question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:09:12 pm »
If you are that tight on money don't worry about it.  It is very important, just put the smallest shims you can find (0.050") between the heims on the rack and on the spindle end and you will be as good as you can get.  Also make sure you mount your tie rods on the bottom side of the steering arm on the spindles.  I have seen some mounted on top of the arms and that is going to create some major issues.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:42:44 pm »
You better never come look at my car Jeff...I dont scale it AND my tie rods are on top my steering arms!
 :o
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:45:00 pm »
The front tie rods need to be flat on both sides, you may need to ad shims to make it work the flatter the less your bump will come into play.

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 07:31:21 pm »
Why would you want these arms to be flat on every car, right and left? Just making them flat could put you bumpsteer way out. If you dont have a gauge, i suggest you adjust them to follow the same angle as the lower A-arm.  I have a pretty expensive custom made gauge and the arms usually are closer to the A-arm angle than flat. Yjis is just my opinion for asphalt.

anything